Macbook Pro 13-inch Retina for $350?

ml1209

Limp Gawd
Found one at the pawn shop yesterday. It was a late 2013 Macbook Pro, 13-inch screen, 2560 x 1600 display, Iris graphics, Intel Core i5 4th gen processor, 128 GB SSD.

All for $350.

I asked the guy if it was stolen. He said no they run the serial number through a database, and the local police also check their merchandise for any reports of it having been stolen.

Would you have bought it? It was in pristine condition.

The thing that is suspicious is that alot of of pawn shops crosscheck prices with eBay (or even sell their stuff directly on eBay). Unless the price matches or beats it there, there's no reason for them to sell it below market price in store, unless there is something sketchy with it (as you already guessed).

IMO, that price seems low, so I vote sketchy.

The thing that is suspicious is that alot of of pawn shops crosscheck prices with eBay (or even sell their stuff directly on eBay). Unless the price matches or beats it there, there's no reason for them to sell it below market price in store, unless there is something sketchy with it (as you already guessed).

IMO, that price seems low, so I vote sketchy.

Well I bought it anyway. Been checking it out this morning. Everything seems fine. Not even a blemish or nick on it. Has 10.11 El Capitan. Granted I could never afford a Mac, until now. Love the screen.

I would have bought it if you didn't. I'd wipe the SSD and fresh install the OS.

I'd have bought it for the screen alone. Perfect for school work and daily tasks even with 4GB so long as you don't do serious work on it its a good deal.

As others have said, if you didn't buy it, I would have. A steal of a deal. 4GB RAM is the only limiting factor there, but it will still be good as a daily driver for at least another generation, depending on what you use it for.

As others have said, if you didn't buy it, I would have. A steal of a deal. 4GB RAM is the only limiting factor there, but it will still be good as a daily driver for at least another generation, depending on what you use it for.

It's a steal of a deal for sure. Know what I mean.

The 4GB of RAM on those isn't terrible, new OS X kernels handle small amounts of RAM fine - I run a Windows 8.1 VM along with Debian and the stock OS at the same time and can count the number of times it's noticeably slowed down on my fingers ... Be extra careful with those screens, though, they're highly susceptible to pressure.

It's a pawn shop. You know what you're getting when you walk in. If you're not into it, don't go there.

I also know that if I take a shower, I'll get wet. Don't know what either statements have to do with this thread.

If the laptop is indeed stolen the authorities can take it without any compensation. However, chances are so close to zero.

You can consider swap the logic board with one from eBay? I see a lot of 8gb i5 CPU board on there pretty cheap. Cheap considering what you're getting for ~600 total.

yardsale find. 15" 2010 MacBook pro with 500gb ssd. $50 even though the owner showed me the pixilation/kernel panic the screen was having I bought it anyway. had his password but he gave it to me to backup his hdd for his music. then I deactivated from his acct and then did install of sierra. haven't had a kernel panic yet. 2008-2013 MB's pros are known for the problem with the intel integrated/discrete graphics that ive been reading about.

I also know that if I take a shower, I'll get wet. Don't know what either statements have to do with this thread.

If the laptop is indeed stolen the authorities can take it without any compensation. However, chances are so close to zero.

true but one thing. if its returned back to the pawnshop with the cops in tow, they should be able to refund the money and the cops can then get it from them signing off on a property sheet in which they will give to the insurance company.

I know. I had that happen to me when I bought some camera equipment. cops gave me a property sheet saying they received it from me but the pawnshop said unless it has them listed instead of me, I would've gotten my money back and they would've gotten paid back from the insurance company.

I think pawn shops have to report equipment and its run across a db of known thefts. I believe they also have a waiting period before they can resell.

Back