macbook* Keyboard

Scotch77

Gawd
How does the macbook keyboard compare to others? The keys seem very far apart which seems like it would make it very hard to type.

I really like it. I've owned 1 PowerBook, 3 previous generation MacBook Pros, and now a unibody MBP. The unibody has the best keyboard of all of them.

How does the macbook keyboard compare to others? The keys seem very far apart which seems like it would make it very hard to type.
If you look down at the keyboard you are sitting at, you will probably notice the keys are sloped from a small top to a wide bottom. The Apple keyboards simply do away with the slope.

The actual distance the fingers travel is the same.

If you look down at the keyboard you are sitting at, you will probably notice the keys are sloped from a small top to a wide bottom. The Apple keyboards simply do away with the slope.

The actual distance the fingers travel is the same.

While you may be correct when I try typing on one I feel like I need to span my finder much much more to get good contact with the keys. Or else Im hitting the area between the keys.

I had the uMB for awhile and the keyboard was excellent. I still like my older MBP's keyboard because it is softer however. But one way or another definitely one of the best keyboards on a laptop.

While you may be correct when I try typing on one I feel like I need to span my finder much much more to get good contact with the keys. Or else Im hitting the area between the keys.
If you look at a Mac keyboard like this one:
http://nozama.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2008/09/26/macbookairkeyboard.jpg

Then look at the typical spacing of a sloped laptop keyboard:
http://www.laptop-keyboard.cn/bookpic/200781416565490767.jpg

You will see that the spacing between the Mac keyboard keys is actually less at the top than a typical PC keyboard.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the feel of the keyboards, but key spacing is not really the issue. My issues are that they're mostly flat, rather than having a concave surface & that they've got relatively short & hard 'action'.

You're asking a personal question that's best answered by you actually going to a store that sells them and typing on it.

Back