Macbook Keyboard not working, help :O

thebaest

Limp Gawd
--- Let me preface this with the fact that I know VERY little about apple systems and file structures. Our ultimate goal here is to not lose any of her files.

My Girlfriends macbook keyboard decided to stop working (including USB ports), so she cannot login to her account. I have the restore discs and can get into them just fine. The keyboard DOES work while in the restore disc utility, and so do the USB mouse and keyboard I have. Do we have any options of getting her files off from inside the "disk utility"? I can see all of her files, but there does not seem to be a copy/paste option. I do have a 16gb USB flash drive that I can see, but I cant figure out how to get anything on it.

Do you know someone else with a Mac? You can boot hers up into Target Disc Mode and copy everything off that way.

I also think theres a way to reinstall OS X without wiping the drive. Can't remember exactly.

Any Apple store near you? They could help you out too.

Like valve said if you know someone with a mac you can take her hdd out and boot from it. But it is weird that the keyboard works in Disk Utility..
You could also pull out the hdd and hook it up via usb to any computer and pull off the data. Windows may be able to see it though..
Just thinking out loud here.

Yea, windows wont see it because apple uses that Journal format (or whatever its called) instead of NTFS. Her parents have a mac. I didn't know you could boot hers into that target disc mode. I will have to try that, thanks guys! :D

Yeah Target disk mode work. Alternatively you could always remove her hdd and boot via usb on her parents' mac. Either way should work. Report back so we know how it went.

does the track pad work? or possibly a bt mouse? if so can you setup a dropbox account and or network with your computer and save the files that way?
(using on screen keyboard)
Do a pram / nvram reset?

Transmac and Macdrive can both be used to read OSX disks in windows if needed. Both have free trials too I think. Either way get your hands on a USB enclosure. It's a must for the "oh shit" bag.

we got it to work! She ended up doing an equivalent of a system restore for windows. That allowed us to not lose any files. thanks for all the advice guys! :D

Back