Macbook is freakishly hot!

sfuller

Limp Gawd
I'm trying to be delicate here: when I use it on my lap, I ache from the heat. Is that a normal thing? Should I return this MF?

sfuller said:
I'm trying to be delicate here: when I use it on my lap, I ache from the heat. Is that a normal thing? Should I return this MF?

This is fairly normal. I suppose if it's setting things on fire or something scary like that, you should take it back. I use a folded up towel between the unit and my lap whenever I have it there (it's usually on my desk, though).

they run hot. it's normal. just make sure you're using the latest firmware. that should help a bit if you're not.

Just cause they say "Lap top" Doesnt mean they actually go on your lap. Setting one on your lap can block the cooling fans causing the system to heat up more, and possibly damage the system if it doesnt shut down automaticly. AS WELL as Excessive heat over your genitals for long periods of time can cause Sterility, or low sperm counts. Ie reason it's better to wear boxers which are loose fitting, than breifes which keep the package so close and doesnt allow them to cool.

Perhaps Mobile Processing systems woulda been a wiser name for them.

You shouldnt have it in your lap anyway, especially if you want children.

I would assume the term 'lap top' to seem you could mean to use it on your lap, but, honestly I never have used a 'laptop' or 'portable' on my lap, it just puts the keyboard too low (I have a very tall upper body). So it doesn't make a big difference to me anyway, as it will be on a table anyway.

well, it sucks to be hot, but I tried the yes command in two terminal windows: got up to 76C but did not crash.

sfuller said:
well, it sucks to be hot, but I tried the yes command in two terminal windows: got up to 76C but did not crash.

Well that is pretty hot, but as long as it works

My 3 year old Powerbook runs hotter than hell... it's normal.
-Matt

Apparently there is a firmware update under software updates that helps to resolve the heat issue. Many have said their temps dropped by 10 degrees and that it was noticeably cooler.

what i did to resolve the issue with my macbook was went out to the office max or whatever and picked up one of those cheapo usb laptop cooling trays. kinda annoying with the extra cord and all, but it keeps the laptop/my lap much cooler.

yeah, i have toasted nuts now so i'm using a table. i also bought a cooler. if i had known, it would of been another plus for the macbook pro

sfuller said:
yeah, i have toasted nuts now so i'm using a table. i also bought a cooler. if i had known, it would of been another plus for the macbook pro
i've got a MacBook Pro, and it does not run cool. it's pretty damn hot, actually. no unusable, but i wouldn't keep it on my lap for more than a few minutes at a time.

then again, i never use it anywhere but my desk at work or it sitting on the coffee table at home.

Well, I was doing a feather in cap/black eye comparison and size was what I liked, plus price. It was hard to turn down the video card, but that's the compromise I made.

could prolly modify one of those laptop coolers to run from USB instead of ac power. Then again i think there is one or two that plug into a usb port.

Back