MacBook High Definition?

dibbs

Limp Gawd
Is a MacBook, not pro, capable of playing high definition video files? I searched the forums but couldn't really find any concrete information. Thanks in advance.

I play 720P fully HD content with no hickups.

That is 1280x720 resolution, and the screen on the MacBook is 1280x800, so I find that's the best one to get, most native.

Yeah it is capable, but not optimal on its own display. If you connect a larger LCD to it, it will be able to play 1080p resolution video files. On its own screen, you will prob be playing 720p files max.

you'll still be able to play 1080p on the internal display just fine, you won't see all of it though because it will down-scale to fit onto the lower resolution display.

They (Apple Inc) define “HD’ as anything that is 1080 lines or above of horizontal resolution. For example, look at their cinema displays. The 30 in 23 inches ones are ‘HD’ because they have over 1080 lines of resolution, whereas the 20 inch one does not and isn’t given the HD moniker.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?family=AppleDisplays

If you source is 720p, then yes, it will be “HD” on that screen, but if its 1080i, then no, it will not be HD.

Great, thank you all for the fast responses. I will be picking up a MacBook tomorrow. I'd be lying if I said that I am not excited. :D

Uhhh ...

You might want to read this just in case.

Not to sure if the requirements mentioned there extend to other system applications?

Uhhh ...

You might want to read this just in case.

Not to sure if the requirements mentioned there extend to other system applications?

That's pretty much right, for any player with HD content, but the screen on a MacBook is only 1280x800, so even with 1080P content, it'll show it constrained, so it won't strain the system any more.

On an external display though, I haven't had the chance to test a real 1080P capable display using the MacBook, but I assume it would be capable considering the GMA950 can request up to 224MB from the system, so it should fit the bill.

if the first gen intel minis could do it on a 23" display with 1gb system memory, I don't see the macbook would be any different (ok, it does have to drive 2 displays...)

I play 720p movies just fine on my Macbook.

Fifth element HD (720p)
and BBC's Planet Earth series

if the first gen intel minis could do it on a 23" display with 1gb system memory, I don't see the macbook would be any different (ok, it does have to drive 2 displays...)

keep in mind you can use the macbook in closed lid mode.

It would probably work better on a Macbook than a Macbook Pro. The Macbook's 1280x800 resolution is only slightly more than 720P (1280x720), so horizontally at least it'll be a perfect fit. The Macbook Pro's 1440x900 screen will cause the picture to stretch to fit.

where are you guys getting this high definition content from? i didnt thnk the mac book had a hi def capable drive!

where are you guys getting this high definition content from? i didnt thnk the mac book had a hi def capable drive!

How about a HD camcorder - which usually record in 1080i (at least the ones targeted toward consumers)? They start out at 1K as of now, for the 'cheap' modes.

That's pretty much right, for any player with HD content, but the screen on a MacBook is only 1280x800, so even with 1080P content, it'll show it constrained, so it won't strain the system any more.

Showing 1080p on any size screen will strain the system equally. The strenuous part is decoding the source file, not outputting it to screen.

yeah ive found most of the demos and trailers, just wandering if there was a service online yet like sky on demand providing hidef films ect...

stu

Back