Macbook hdd dying?

mr_sativa

n00b
My sisters hdd starting to click. Not covered by applecare anymore.

Is there any app i can use to test it out? Not sure if hdtuner supports mac os

thanks

If you can, try connecting it to a computer running windows using a firewire cable and Target Disc Mode: Hold T on startup of your mac. Then, hdtune or any freeware hard drive testing program should be able to identify and test the drive in the macbook, i.e. through the "error scan" tab or through examining SMART values. Which may or may not say anything. These programs can be found easily through google.

But, chances are, if it's starting to click and the computer is dragging its heels, the hard drive is dying.

Well i havent used firewire ever but ill try and look for one. Any other cable reccomendation??

Ill check later today for a compatible hd proggy. In any event if it dies should i :

1) get a hdd thats 7200rpm and 2.5"

or

2) get an ssd

Well i havent used firewire ever but ill try and look for one. Any other cable reccomendation??

Ill check later today for a compatible hd proggy. In any event if it dies should i :

1) get a hdd thats 7200rpm and 2.5"

or

2) get an ssd

What I meant was, after connecting the mac to a computer running windows, you could then install an easy-to-find windows-compatible hard drive test program like hdtune, in case that came across wrong.

As for getting a new hard drive,
Depending on your hard drive space usage, if you're okay with a 40-60gb drive, ssd will give you a considerable performance improvement, but expect to pay around $200. Older laptops often have very slow, 5400rpm hard drives, and a new 5400rpm drive may still be up something like 1.5 times as fast as the old drive, and only cost about $50. 7200rpm laptop drives are better performers, but can be slightly noisier and are more expensive per gb.

It really depends on how much money you're willing to spend, but some people still say that ssd technology isn't quite good enough yet, and it may be good to wait another few months before making the switch.

Kool. Ill stick with 5400rpm then cause the mac book is made to be quiet. Keep it that way. If i can find a cord that does that then koo. Usb - to - usb maybe? Firewire just not quite too sure yet

before you dive in to this too deep with the 3rd party applications, have you checked the S.M.A.R.T. status in System Profiler?

Finder > Applictions > Utilities > System Profiler > Under 'Hardware' choose 'Serial ATA' -- The smart status is listed here.

right now i'm trying to repair it using its own OS application and see what happens. right now there's no clicking but i'm trying to do what i can for now until we see what happens.

Back