macbook HD clicking??

thesecession

Weaksauce
So my macbook HD sometimes clicks, I just noticed it when i was watching a youtube video, it would click 2 times kinda loud, then freeze for 2 seconds then go back to normal.

I dropped my macbook previously and my old HD started doing this, then it failed, So i replaced it and now 3 weeks later, it started doing it again for about 5 minutes. It seems to be running OK now though. Im wondering if its because i was filling up the HD and once it gets to a certain point, it starts to fail. could this be? I deleted about 10 gigs of stuff and it seems to be ok again. Anyone having simular issues?

what kind of drive you have? i havent had any issues with the stock drive, or my 200g 7200rpm hitachi. smooth as buttah.

Im wondering if its because i was filling up the HD and once it gets to a certain point, it starts to fail. could this be? I deleted about 10 gigs of stuff and it seems to be ok again. Anyone having simular issues?

LOLOL. I read this and almost spit my damn drink out, because its so damn funny. Your HD is dying. Its the infamous 'click of death'.

LOLOL. I read this and almost spit my damn drink out, because its so damn funny. Your HD is dying. Its the infamous 'click of death'.

I SECOND THAT!

I have had no clicking issues ever on a hard drive which worked for more than 3 weeks after the clicking started.

You can also see what the S.M.A.R.T. status reads by going to the Disk Utility. If the drive is failing in a manner that it can detect, you'll see a nice flashing red "Failing" at the bottom. Had that happen with a G4 PowerBook over christmas.

Ahh, good 'ol click of death.

You think the hard drive will be fine, nothing seems to be wrong other than clicking.. and then boom! one day it just doesn't boot.

Then you'll find yourself throwing it in the freezer, hoping for the best :p

Why the lewdness?

Because some people enjoy having a slight superiority complex about knowing something someone else does not.

Please people, if he ask for help, give it to him without the snarky comments. Not everyone knows how a hard drive works. Educate them, don't embarrass them.

Anyway, yeah, its very likely the click of death. Save whatever data you want too while you can.

Because some people enjoy having a slight superiority complex about knowing something someone else does not.

Please people, if he ask for help, give it to him without the snarky comments. Not everyone knows how a hard drive works. Educate them, don't embarrass them.

Anyway, yeah, its very likely the click of death. Save whatever data you want too while you can.

Excellent! A sentient being! ;)

QFT - get that flash drive out.

Is this something that commonly happens with 2.5" drives? I just got this one from newegg.. Is there any possibility that it could be a problem with something other than the drive thats making it fail?

The click of death discriminates equally among drives assuming same RPM (higher RPM fail faster usually). I would get you data off of it then RMA with newegg if you can. I don't think anything else is causing it from what you've told us and I just think you got a dud. Tech doesn't that sometimes ;)

Yeah. My hard drive coughs like a choking duck. I should probably go get that replaced under applecare.

This is in my mac mini though, which is 2 years old.

Yep, its dying. Start backing up data while you still can get into OSX.

Laptop hard drives are put in much worse situations than desktops sometimes. Between heat, moving around, etc. I replace A TON at work every week, and hardware is not our main thing.

Is this something that commonly happens with 2.5" drives? I just got this one from newegg.. Is there any possibility that it could be a problem with something other than the drive thats making it fail?

Has nothing to do with size - just happens. Replace it / back up your data as quickly as you can. It will die.

Has nothing to do with size - just happens. Replace it / back up your data as quickly as you can. It will die.

not size, but rather environment. as Lime said, they're exposed to more heat, movement, etc than desktop drives are. I think they would actually last longer than a desktop drive given the same environment.

try running the repair feature on disk utility from the installation disk and see what it tells you. buy typically clacking/grinding noise is an imminent failure.

ive run techtool pros tests extensively and everything checked out. i also havent had a click in a few weeks since posting at least. im still going to RMA it anyways though once i back it up

Back