Macbook for daily use

compslckr

[H]F Junkie
Alright, it seems like one thing after another is going wrong with my desktop (in my sig). Right now it is down and I have been using my laptop (currently in sig) for about a week now and to tell you the truth the only thing i miss from my desktop is the storage space (2x 200gb and 1x80gb for the OS).

My question is:

I can get a
Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
80GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
Accessory Kit
2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

For $1099 refurb from the apple store right now.

My plan would be to get external enclosures for my 2x 200gb drives and always leave them plugged in and just sitting on the corner of my desk or whatever, continue to use my mx518, keyboard, and 22" monitor when in my dorm room.

Would that setup be fine for everyday use? I am a CS major and need to run eclipse (or whatever else) for Java programming, and some sort of c++ compiler, other than that my main uses for my computer are light photoshop work, Adobe lightroom work, office/email/web surfing and once in a while dvd ripping / burning.

as far as gaming goes, I am down to about an hour a week and I don't really care about it like I used to, so no gaming performance is needed right now.

Thanks guys, I want to order it tonight, i am just so sick of my desktop

At home I still use my iBook G4 800 for Photoshop now and then. If I can do that on that old machine without frustration a brand new Macbook should do just fine for you. :)

We only have one here at work so far (we're more of a PowerBook/MacBook pro shop) and it's done very well for every day apps.

I took the plunge and ordered it, now i am officially a poor starving college student. I also picked up 2 3.5" external enclosures from newegg for my storage needs, the mini dvi -> dvi adapter for my 22" LCD and a USB 2.0 hub for all my usb stuff.

I ended up getting

2.0ghz core 2 duo
1gb ram
80gb hard drive
glossy screen
super drive
$1099

Congrats, mate. When's it shipping? Will you tell us how you like the MacBook when it arrives?

Nice man. You'll love it. The Macbook is my favorite of all the lappies I have owned.

I think you did good.

For comparison, I have a 15" 1.67GHz G4 Powerbook with 1GB of DDR2 RAM and a 100GB 7200 RPM hard drive. My everyday apps include Aperture and Photoshop CS2.

I'd like to upgrade to 2GB of RAM, but other than that I'm quite happy.

You should know that in order to use the other buttons on the MX 518 (this is the only mouse I've had this issue with), you need to install third party drivers (the only one I've found that actually work cost money, about $30 I believe). The keyboard should be fine, but remember the Alt key is replaced by the command key on Macs,so you'd would have to use the Alt key for keyboard commands (Alt-C to copy, Alt-V to past, etc.).

You just picked up the perfect college laptop.

I'm a CS student here at WWU and I run VS2005 in Parallels on WinXP Pro SP2 and I have XCode (apples full featured development IDE which is FREE!!!) installed as well, get the latest version from Apple's Development website. developer.apple.com and sign up for a free account and get XCode 2.4.1 which is awesome.

Not to mention BootCamp and Parallels will both be able to satisfy your needs for the windows end of the programming spectrum. I love using parallels + VS2005 for my CS assignments because it's so seamless and easy to run and use.

I'm actually sending home my desktop that I also have with me here at college.

I don't need it, so why let it sit here and gather dust and waste my space.

I'm ripping out the 2nd HDD and sending it home with my parents when they come up this weekend.

1GB of RAM in that machine is perfect too (but if you want to run parallels VM you'll want to upgrade to 2GB, and I have a 160GB PMR hdd inside of mine.

Make sure to pick up the 802.11n enabler from apple or ya know...

Yup k, awesome choice, I'm jealous of the Core 2 Duo, DL SuperDrive, and 802.11n!

Make sure to pick up the 802.11n enabler from apple or ya know...

Yup k, awesome choice, I'm jealous of the Core 2 Duo, DL SuperDrive, and 802.11n!
Then again, it won't matter unless he has a draft-n compatible router.

Then again, it won't matter unless he has a draft-n compatible router.

The range seems greatly extended even for my g network on the new MacBook of the girl down the hall who has the n hardware enabled.

I just got the shipment confirmation, but the estimated delivery date is one week from today (next friday). I should have upgraded to the 2day air for $22, then I would get it monday or tuesday. Oh well, i guess I will have to wait a little bit.

I am really excited though

I just got the shipment confirmation, but the estimated delivery date is one week from today (next friday). I should have upgraded to the 2day air for $22, then I would get it monday or tuesday. Oh well, i guess I will have to wait a little bit.

I remember how excited I was for my macbook, I was so happy when apple delieved it 4 days earlier than when they said they would....

Oh hell yeah, definitely. When I ordered my powerbook I said screw it, and went for overnight delivery. I even made sure to call in my order bright and early so it would ship the same day. :p

Oh hell yeah, definitely. When I ordered my powerbook I said screw it, and went for overnight delivery. I even made sure to call in my order bright and early so it would ship the same day. :p

I umm, drove to the Apple store, and walked out with my MacBook.

You should know that in order to use the other buttons on the MX 518 (this is the only mouse I've had this issue with), you need to install third party drivers (the only one I've found that actually work cost money, about $30 I believe). The keyboard should be fine, but remember the Alt key is replaced by the command key on Macs,so you'd would have to use the Alt key for keyboard commands (Alt-C to copy, Alt-V to past, etc.).

Hmm, the bindings on my Revolution seem to be fine with Logitech Control Center.

I umm, drove to the Apple store, and walked out with my MacBook.

I live in New York, and I commute to the city. I order it online even though I always pop in the Park Ave store (which is sick), after I waited about 7 days, I got pissed at myself for not just going in to pick one up. So what do I do? wait for my Macbook, but then I drive in for a Nano dock. Jackass!

Hmm, the bindings on my Revolution seem to be fine with Logitech Control Center.

I live in New York, and I commute to the city. I order it online even though I always pop in the Park Ave store (which is sick), after I waited about 7 days, I got pissed at myself for not just going in to pick one up. So what do I do? wait for my Macbook, but then I drive in for a Nano dock. Jackass!

The MX518 just isn't happy on a Mac, I know mine is pissy.

And I guess traffic to and from Bellevue isn't as bad as through NYC lol, took about 40 minutes to get there, buy it, and then go home.

I wonder why logitech would make drivers for the mx510 but not the mx518.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/downloads/software/US/EN,CRID=1792,contentid=8749

Edit, looks like the mx700 is supported and I think I still have an old one of those around, maybe I will just use that until i can afford a mx revolution or something similar.

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for a good USB hub? I would like to leave my keyboard, mouse, printer, memory card reader and maybe my 2 external hard drives plugged into USB hub(s) so its basically like a ghetto docking station. that way the only things I have to plug in when i get back from class are the monitor and a few USB plugs (and power of course).

The MX518 just isn't happy on a Mac, I know mine is pissy.

And I guess traffic to and from Bellevue isn't as bad as through NYC lol, took about 40 minutes to get there, buy it, and then go home.

The U-Village Apple Store isn't worth the drive at all (assuming thats where you're going).

They always have a holier-then-thou attitude. I had $3000 cash out on the checkout desk and it took the doofus ten minutes to get my computer, because he was busy preaching about macs to a 50 year old guy who clearly wasn't going to buy one.

Isn't there an Apple store in Medina / Bellevue?

Oh, 206 > 425.

The U-Village Apple Store isn't worth the drive at all (assuming thats where you're going).

They always have a holier-then-thou attitude. I had $3000 cash out on the checkout desk and it took the doofus ten minutes to get my computer, because he was busy preaching about macs to a 50 year old guy who clearly wasn't going to buy one.

Isn't there an Apple store in Medina / Bellevue?

Oh, 206 > 425.

I go to the Bellevue Square one.

And F-that. 425 owns all.

I'm up in Bellingham for college though, at WWU.

206<425 seconded, and I think I might be convinced on that macbook. It has to be black though. All I am trying to figure out is if i need to get the core duo or the core 2 duo hum..

206<425 seconded, and I think I might be convinced on that macbook. It has to be black though. All I am trying to figure out is if i need to get the core duo or the core 2 duo hum..

425 ftw.

are Core 2 Duo, DL SuperDrive, 802.11n and double the ram and bigger HDD's (on the 2ghz configs at stock) important to you?

could you live with Core Duo, non-DL SuperDrive, 802.11g, upgrading your own RAM and possibly HDD?

I LOVE my Core Duo MacBook. I think those upgrades are worth it though. Especially if either way you'd be getting the BlackBook.

they had the core duo 1.83, 512, 60gb, non superdrive for $799 refurb, but I figured I would spend a little more money and get exactly what I wanted right out of the box.

Does anyone know if the refurb mac's come with all the original accessories like restore disks and the remote?

Does anyone know if the refurb mac's come with all the original accessories like restore disks and the remote?

My refurbished MBP came with the restore disks, the remote, a DVI->VGA adapter, power adapter, and alternate plug for the power adapter. I ordered from apple.com

If you guys didn't know, Colorware offers painted Macbooks and Macbook Pros. I was so tempted, but the funds are tight right now.

Colorware

They do offer a stunning departure from the black and white colors. However, the painting (while exceptional quality) does invalidate Apple's warranty, so you are buying your warranty through them. They are a reputable company but I have no idea about customer service, returns, etc.

My friend had an xbox painted and it was great, but buying a Macbook from them is a different animal - about a $1000 worth of difference.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

If you guys didn't know, Colorware offers painted Macbooks and Macbook Pros. I was so tempted, but the funds are tight right now.

Colorware

They do offer a stunning departure from the black and white colors. However, the painting (while exceptional quality) does invalidate Apple's warranty, so you are buying your warranty through them. They are a reputable company but I have no idea about customer service, returns, etc.

My friend had an xbox painted and it was great, but buying a Macbook from them is a different animal - about a $1000 worth of difference.

Anyone want to be a guinea pig?

I've known about this for a long time, and while a Black MBP is super sexy, it's not black aluminum, it's just black paint... which isn't as cool...

Oh, I would not dare paint a MB Pro. Brushed metal and anodized brushed metal are just too beautiful to tarnish with paint.

This is why my only cases are Lian Lis or Silverstones. However, painting a Macbook has clearance from the tower. Painting a MB Pro is taboo (It's like sticking in your girl's backdoor without asking).:D

For anyone who was asking about the USB hub, I have a D-Link 7 port USB hub that works fairly well. There is a common design flaw (people complain on Newegg). It will not activate all of the stuff when you first plug it in. I plug it in and usually have to pull and replug in my Griffin Powermate to its extension cord to activate it. Otherwise it works fine for me.

If no one's said it yet, you're going to need to buy a mini-DVI to DVI adapter from Apple, in order to plug in your monitor.

Yea, I ordered the mini-dvi to dvi adapter when i bought the macbook.

I was looking at that d-link hub and it looks pretty nice, I might just pick one of those up.

Oh, I would not dare paint a MB Pro. Brushed metal and anodized brushed metal are just too beautiful to tarnish with paint.

This is why my only cases are Lian Lis or Silverstones. However, painting a Macbook has clearance from the tower. Painting a MB Pro is taboo (It's like sticking in your girl's backdoor without asking).:D

hah, I agree

Yea, I ordered the mini-dvi to dvi adapter when i bought the macbook.

I was looking at that d-link hub and it looks pretty nice, I might just pick one of those up.

Just be aware of the flaw. It doesn't bother me. Some may be different, but it the ability to have everything I have plugged into the one hub outweighs the flaw.

Back