Votes: 36 31.6%
  • No way man!

Votes: 63 55.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

KodiakStar

/'s by 0
Now that we know its out, how many of you will buy in even with the high price?

i'd buy one, but i may have to wait a few months for another bonus from my employer to get one. lol

Stupid name, overpriced, lame graphics card, can't upgrade memory...

Engineering marvel, competitively priced, capable graphics card for target user, 2GB standard memory, 80GB hard drive, multitouch trackpad, incredibly thin... :D

with a student discount it is like this:

macbook air : $1699
macbook pro :$1799

plus the $100 for the external superdrive...

i would rather get the pro

Cool design, but not OMG I must have this. I'm a little off-put by lack of ethernet and the slower CPUs. I think that rev 2 or 3 may be real must-haves though.

Stupid name, overpriced, lame graphics card, can't upgrade memory...

Who cares about the name?
What exactly do you want in this size, 8800GTX? For the size, weight it has very good graphics.
How much memory would you need with a device like this, it comes standard with 2.

Who cares about the name?
What exactly do you want in this size, 8800GTX? For the size, weight it has very good graphics.
How much memory would you need with a device like this, it comes standard with 2.

Pointless to argue about sub's and ultra's, same thing came up with the EEEpc.

OMG my Desktop / Laptop is better then this....

Its amazing, and exactly what early morning/late nite commuters need.

With more and more commuter services offering WiFi, this thing hits the spot with the proffesional set.

No disrespect ppl, but the Pro's that REALLY need this thing wont be posting on these forums.

My wife has been lugging a Ibook on to the 2hr bus ride to NYC for about 3 years now, you bet were getting her one.

...No disrespect ppl, but the Pro's that REALLY need this thing wont be posting on these forums...

That's what I'm saying: I'd bet less than 1% of the people on these forums would be anywhere on the radar as part of Apple's "Target Audience" for this thing.

Kinda pricey, but if I had the money, you bet I'd be buying one, I have to admit it's pretty impressive, but the price is a bit high, and I think Apple will probably realize this like they did with the iPhone, and the price will, inevitably come down, but that's just my two cents worth

I will rrobably pick one up at some point just because i like having the latest stuff but the vaio tz/ux series outshine this in my eyes,
What is it with apple not giving us hsdpa capability in their notebooks and iphone yet claiming they are the most advanced portable connected hardware? And wheres the dam fingerprint scanner? Although i like the multitouch idea theres only so many pictures you can rotate aswell!
No Ethernet ( Yer not essential but not all of us have 802.11n wireless networks at home for ultra fast file transfers)
No Card Reader (Not essntial but would have been handy for us psp/camera/mobile phone users)
No WWAN ( How can they call the macair a road warrior without this??!)
No Firewire (.....)
No user-replaceable battery (Again not essential but id be pissed if the in built battery only has 6 months warranty, can anyone clarify the warranty on aple batteries?)
No Superdrive (Again not essential but if sony can squeeze a dual layer writer into their ultraportable....Its handy if yur at the airport and see a new film in duty free you wanna watch on your flight and the airports only have 2meg connections so downloading a dvd quality film will take a while using precious battery time!.)
All in all im lookng forward to getting a Mac Air but i think its slightly ahead of its time as not many public places have 802.11n networks yet for large/faster downloads/connections over the air.

It has an optional external superdrive.
It has an optional lan dongle.

Both would easily fit in laptop bag, should you really need to carry them, otherwise that kinda covers anything you'll need at home.

I have no doubt some kind of Firewire solution will emerge shortly as well, maybe even a complete docking system like the way the Duo was.

...I have no doubt some kind of Firewire solution will emerge shortly as well, maybe even a complete docking system like the way the Duo was.
Umm, I doubt it. There's nowhere to plug one into (like an expresscard slot for instance), and if you look at the motherboard, I'd bet you won't see any chips with firewire support built in.

If it had 2 USB ports, then MAYBE.

But it doesn't. So, hell no.
Oh come on now, we both know there are more than a couple options for multiplying/splitting usb ports...

Yeah... Lan port over a USB hub? lol. Nothxbye.

The idea of getting this particular laptop is for the wireless capabilities: why intentionally add something like that? If you're wired, get a wired laptop (like the MacBook or your MacBook Pro in your sig).

It's like complaining the wii doesn't have any wired ports for legacy controllers (I know it has USB iirc, but you get the point)

The idea of getting this particular laptop is for the wireless capabilities: why intentionally add something like that? If you're wired, get a wired laptop (like the MacBook or your MacBook Pro in your sig).

It's like complaining the wii doesn't have any wired ports for legacy controllers (I know it has USB iirc, but you get the point)

it has gamecube ports

it has gamecube ports

I figured as much: I thought the gamecube used USB, but I've never had one so I wouldn't know! The point is you don't get a wii to use your gamecube controller on, and you don't get a MacBook Air to plug shit into it.

10 asshole points to you though! My point was in dire need of clarification and you provided said clarification, so thanks! I'm glad nobody will mis-interpret my post and start trying to plug USB peripherals into their Gamecubes, or Gamecube controllers into their MacBook Air's. I mean, I could get SUED or something! Seriously, you've done a great service to me, to the thread, and to your community by pointing out trivial mistakes in relevant posts. A+ sir.

Well, I guess so... But an ultraportable should be ready for any scenario... With your slow built in 80gb drive, I would most definitely have an external 2.5" drive to go with this. What if my net goes down, or I'm at a hotel that doesn't offer wireless. Then I need to break out the dongle, a USB hub, my drive, maybe a wireless mouse or something.

Then, you run out of power on the single USB port, and need to plug in your router, which ruins the wireless aspect of this for me.

But, there are loads of reasons why this laptop is mainly suitable for the lightest of computer users... users, which would typically get a macbook due to the price. I just can't see *anyone* buying one of these.

I wouldn't buy it even if I had the money to. What a fucking ripoff. Oooohhhhhhhhhhhh, it's really thin!

Big fucking deal!

Well, I guess so... But an ultraportable should be ready for any scenario... With your slow built in 80gb drive, I would most definitely have an external 2.5" drive to go with this. What if my net goes down, or I'm at a hotel that doesn't offer wireless. Then I need to break out the dongle, a USB hub, my drive, maybe a wireless mouse or something.

Then, you run out of power on the single USB port, and need to plug in your router, which ruins the wireless aspect of this for me.

But, there are loads of reasons why this laptop is mainly suitable for the lightest of computer users... users, which would typically get a macbook due to the price. I just can't see *anyone* buying one of these.

Agreed. The lack of a firewire port, thus eliminating the possibility of using it for nearly any creative endeavor, really surprised me. A mini-dock w/ firewire ports, 2-4x USB ports, an ethernet port, etc. would've been all it took to sell this thing for me and I think a lot of other people...

why are people calling this an ultraportable. its too be to be classed as that.

Agreed. The lack of a firewire port, thus eliminating the possibility of using it for nearly any creative endeavor, really surprised me. A mini-dock w/ firewire ports, 2-4x USB ports, an ethernet port, etc. would've been all it took to sell this thing for me and I think a lot of other people...

Or hell, a multi cable. Some sort of "dock" cable that has a squid output to 2 USB+1 FW or something.

Or hell, a multi cable. Some sort of "dock" cable that has a squid output to 2 USB+1 FW or something.
Exactly! I can only assume newer revisions of the "Air" line will include firewire ports (4-pin?) at least. As hard drives begin to phase out and solid state disks phase in, (similar to what the iPod line is doing) the "Air" line will inevitably have only the solid state disk option. I'm sure Apple tried to make this happen from the get-go, but they're simply just too expensive. Releasing a new $3k+ laptop wouldn't have sold.

Again, TONS of Business ppl sit in dark trains and buses all morning and evening long, and would like to comfortably draft up proposals and such, this will fit the bill with style.
I dont think apple was aiming for the middle managements traveling salesman here, but rather High end commuters and city dwellers that want light weight and style.

Honestly, My wife has NEVER used the DVD drive in her Ibook.

Again, TONS of Business ppl sit in dark trains and buses all morning and evening long, and would like to comfortably draft up proposals and suck, this will fit the bill with style.
I dont think apple was aiming for the middle managements traveling salesman here, but rather High end commuters and city dwellers that want light weight and style.

Honestly, My wife has NEVER used the DVD drive in her Ibook.

the people with an extra grand to piss away over a similar laptop are not riding the bus

The real problem that I see is that the AirBook (That's the only name I'll use for it) is basically a really thin Macbook minus ports, minus upgradability... The pro is $200 more, features a real graphics card, can be upgraded, has a few ports to spare, has a user replacable battery, is just a bit thicker and 2.4 pounds heavier... I see the Air as a gimmick. It's priced between the Macbook and Macbook Pro, and yet doesn't have the features of either.

And the worst part is, I know my boss is going to want one. Even though he does CAD and needs a decent GPU, even though he has a whole boat load of USB devices, and even though he never runs his laptop off of battery...

They're gonna sell like lemonaide on a hot summer day...

This is not truly an "Air" device. If it did, there would least be support for 3G Internal for AT&T or a slot for any other provider.

And don't even both telling me you can get a USB device, cause that's just worthless if you pay $1800 for a laptop.

I'm seeing a lot of conflicting perspectives on what the Air actually is. As a standalone office notebook, I features are lacking.

Sure you can split the USB ports but that requires extra equipment and wires, which seems to counter Apple's minimalist paradigm. I'm also slightly confused about the Remote access for optical discs. You have to have the DVD in the drive of another machine in order to access it? The integrated battery is something I could live with as long as apple keeps the service free. WWAN is something that should be offered.

I personally like my brother's M1330 because it didn't cost 300 dollars to upgrade the CPU by 200Mhz.

I think apple may have jumped the shark with this one.

Apple, fucked up big time with the Air tbh.

Their stocks fell nicely.

My 1 year+ old laptop that i bought for £400 ($800) is better...

I see no way apple will make a killing from this, you'll get idiots buy it, its not good for anything except web browsing and text editing, but who spends soo much for a text editor and the internet?

Apple failed.

The integrated battery is the deal-breaker for me.

Yep. That and the fact it doesn't have ethernet.

While it is interestng looking I think they removed too many features to make it a good business notebook. Needs another usb port, ethernet, and an option for internal 3g. Plus it needs a removable battery.

I have been putting off getting a new notebook hoping for dell or apple to come out with a nice tablet. Really was hoping for a macbook pro that was smaller. The dell tablet is not as good as it should have been and is overpriced. Apple came out with a nice smaller notebook but it isn't a pro level notebook in my mind. Sucks too as I miss my powerbook 12inch.

the people with an extra grand to piss away over a similar laptop are not riding the bus

Dont be stupid.

If you had any clue about commuter prices to NYC you would have never opened your mouth.

Just another arrogant remark that was based on nothing.

My family lives and works out out of NYC and Washington DC, perhaps you should research a bit about how 200.000$ + salary people in those areas travel to work.

Good thing no one depends on your opinion for a living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back