Julius

Limp Gawd
2.26GHz Intel Core 2 Duo – White Polycarbonate Unibody

-2GB memory
-250GB hard drive
-Built-in 7-hour battery
-Double-layer SuperDrive

- 2 USB, No Firewire.

Does anyone have this system? I am thinking about getting it and I am not sure if I am making the right desicion. I saw where I could get a PC laptop with more HDspace and Ram for a little more than half of this price, but will I be getting a better system?

If I am in the need of more USB, are there any USB extensions/hubs that I can count on? Also there is no chance of adding firewire to this?

I saw where I could get a PC laptop with more HDspace and Ram for a little more than half of this price, but will I be getting a better system?

If all you care about is price, yes, you could probably find something for cheaper. But there's more to a computer than MSRP.

If I am in the need of more USB, are there any USB extensions/hubs that I can count on? Also there is no chance of adding firewire to this?

Yes, USB is USB, you can plug in a hub and it'll work just like every other USB slot. No, you can't add Firewire; you'll have to upgrade to the MacBook Pro line for that.

How much of a better computer would I be getting?

What you're really asking for is the difference between a Mac and a generic PC, yes? The big difference is OS X. Smaller differences: industrial design, tech support, tri-booting. You get what you pay for. Personally, the multitouch trackpad on my MacBook alone was worth the price of admission.

Ultimately, if you don't care about using OS X, then you might not be in the market for a Mac. If you're sick of Windows, then it's worth going to an Apple Store or Best Buy with an Apple display and tinkering with the product.

What you're really asking for is the difference between a Mac and a generic PC, yes? The big difference is OS X. Smaller differences: industrial design, tech support, tri-booting.

Ultimately, if you don't care about using OS X, then you might not be in the market for a Mac. If you're sick of Windows, then it's worth going to an Apple Store or Best Buy with an Apple display and tinkering with the product.

I guess you sort of answered my question, I couldn't find the right words lol. I guess what I wanted to ask was a 2GB of memory on OSX and Windows XP will both be have diffrently or give you different results based on the OS?

I guess you sort of answered my question, I couldn't find the right words lol. I guess what I wanted to ask was a 2GB of memory on OSX and Windows XP will both be have diffrently or give you different results based on the OS?

Different results depending on the OS. OS X likes RAM a little more than Windows does: my understanding is that it utilizes RAM differently than Windows, so the more the better.

I found 2GB of RAM to be perfectly usable in OS X, but eventually upgraded to 4GB just because I found myself multitasking to the extent where the extra RAM became desirable. I've usually got about 10-12 apps open at any one time.

MacBooks allow you to easily upgrade the RAM should you choose to go that route. Pop off the bottom cover, spread the pins holding the slots in place, swap out. I paid about $80 for a pack of DDR3-1066 G.Skill RAM after Christmas.

Different results depending on the OS. OS X likes RAM a little more than Windows does: my understanding is that it utilizes RAM differently than Windows, so the more the better.

I found 2GB of RAM to be perfectly usable in OS X, but eventually upgraded to 4GB just because I found myself multitasking to the extent where the extra RAM became desirable. I've usually got about 10-12 apps open at any one time.

MacBooks allow you to easily upgrade the RAM should you choose to go that route. Pop off the bottom cover, spread the pins holding the slots in place, swap out. I paid about $80 for a pack of DDR3-1066 G.Skill RAM after Christmas.

oh I see.

As far as it's internal hard drive, are you limited to a certain kind (apple manufactured for ex) or are you able to add any internal hard drive, that fits of course?

oh I see.

As far as it's internal hard drive, are you limited to a certain kind (apple manufactured for ex) or are you able to add any internal hard drive, that fits of course?

There's no such thing as an Apple manufactured hard drive. They don't use proprietary hardware. Macs use SATA just like every other computer.

They are a little picky over SSDs, but going with Intel SSDs should avoid any complications.

As far as RAM goes, 2GB will be fine unless you want to run virtual machines. I am constantly running no fewer than 9 applications on 2GB ram, and it works great.

You can get better raw specs for cheaper with a PC, but you won't get OSX, which is a really great OS. I, too, think that you can't overstate how great the trackpad and multitouch is on this machine.

My advice to you is to go to a Bestbuy and play with the mac a bit. Figure out the touchpad and then take a look at the competition.

If you're sick of Windows, then it's worth going to an Apple Store or Best Buy with an Apple display and tinkering with the product.

Why? OSX is just a customized version of BSD (Unix OS). You can get that for free on any PC. I used OSX in the store a few times and to me it seems just like using Linux so my point is why pay for OSX when you can get a PC notebook for way less and install Linux for free and have pretty much the same thing as a Mac? I guess if Apple has some exclusive apps you need than it may be worth the cost but for OSX? Nah.

Why? OSX is just a customized version of BSD (Unix OS). You can get that for free on any PC. I used OSX in the store a few times and to me it seems just like using Linux...

It's... really not. This is like saying that Windows 98 was like DOS.

It's... really not. This is like saying that Windows 98 was like DOS.

No it isn't. Dos has no GUI and Win98 does. Linux does too and it functions pretty much the same as the one OSX has. That pretty GUI you see in OSX and Linux is not even an OS, it's just a server shell running on top of the real OS. Win7 is a real GUI OS.

Because I can't customize Linux to be OSX myself.

Well, what is so much better about OSX than what Linux has available already? Like I said, from the little I used OSX I couldn't see much dif at all.

No it isn't. Dos has no GUI and Win98 does. Linux does too and it functions pretty much the same as the one OSX has. That pretty GUI you see in OSX and Linux is not even an OS, it's just a server shell running on top of the real OS. Win7 is a real GUI OS.

I look forward to your attempts to revise the Mac OS X article on Wikipedia, then.

Well, what is so much better about OSX than what Linux has available already? Like I said, from the little I used OSX I couldn't see much dif at all.

I'm really not sure what you're even arguing about. If you like or dislike something, it is purely subjective. Some people like using OSX. Some people don't, and apparently you're one of the people who doesn't.

I see similarities between OSX and the versions of Linux that I've used. And I've used Windows 7, it's pretty nice. The majority of the time I am booted into OSX though.

Back on subject:

Many Windows PC makers use deliberately misleading specs. Tell me how often you've seen this at the store: 17-inch display! 4GB of RAM! 500GB hard drive! Only $799!

...and a Pentium dual-core with Intel integrated graphics, built into a flimsy body.

In my experience, companies like Acer and HP are only building the systems to convince the average Best Buy shopper that it's a great bargain, not necessarily a good system. The MacBook has a modern, fast processor. It's thin and light, but it's sturdy and has a battery that will probably last you twice as long. Also, the graphics: the GeForce 9400M is several times faster than what Intel has.

It could use more expansion ports and a larger hard drive, but even with 2GB of RAM it's actually surprisingly smooth.

I was recently in the same position as you are currently and I ended up going with the Macbook (given I got a Macbook Pro and had upgraded ram from 2GB to 4GB from the get-go). The reason I chose it over windows was because I wanted to be able to learn how to use the Mac more in depth and also I figured I could run Windows on it anyway (which I do with VM Fuzion).

If you plan on gaming though, I would not recommend it unless you plan on running Boot Camp. VM's suck for computer gaming.

Why? OSX is just a customized version of BSD (Unix OS). You can get that for free on any PC. I used OSX in the store a few times and to me it seems just like using Linux so my point is why pay for OSX when you can get a PC notebook for way less and install Linux for free and have pretty much the same thing as a Mac? I guess if Apple has some exclusive apps you need than it may be worth the cost but for OSX? Nah.

Applications wise

Final Cut Studio beats anything video production wise on Linux
Aperture kills anything built for photo manipulation and organization on Linux
Logic Studio is far better than Audacity or any other Audio suite

For the built in apps
iMovie has no comparable app in Linux
iPhoto is far better than F-Spot
GarageBand has no equal anywhere
iWeb has no equal on Linux or Windows either

As for the OS itself:
OS X is also called Darwin, which is based on NEXTStep. Darwin is built around the XNU kernel, which uses code elements from BSD (mostly process models, networking functions, and FS) and the Mach 3 Microkernel. This makes it a Hybrid Kernel, which is nothing like BSD itself. It also supports the POSIX API (a la BSD), but the GUI, launchd, and bonjour are OS X specific features, developed by Apple. All of that right there is worth buying the system. It is faster and more efficient than any current linux kernel, has better memory utilization, and process management. (that last sentence is from personal experience, and is qualitative not quantitative in assessment)

As for the OP.. I would go with the Apple every time. Granted, hardware wise, you can get a more capable Windows system, but you lose out on all of the great features of OS X, and no windows system have the customer service or support that apple offers.

Desktop PC 4 life
Mac laptop 4 life

they integrate great with each other, i game on my desktop ,tf2 it up on my macbook(bootcamp) when im on the road

take my macbook to class, program on it, save everything to the shared drive, ...and continue with homework on the desktop when i get home.

i mean the 13in macbook is great even if you dont run osx.....although i do because its quick as shit!

for me its the light weight, long battery, thin, fast, amazing screen quality, backlit keyboard, amazing trackpad ect that makes it appealing to me...osx is a plus....

1 thing that i think is an illusion...the casing...it looks sexy and durable... but its really not... i work at geeksquad, and people bring them in dented to shit, ...mine has a tiny dent in it also that i have no idea how it got there..since then, ive used the speck case

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-MacBook-See-Thru-Hard-Case/dp/B000KGCWNM

that has kept it in pretty good shape traveling with it

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Update: I purchased the Macbook, played around with it in bestbuy for about 20-30 minutes, Im on it right now, played with it at home for about 20 minutes, so far I love it. I will be using boot camp for XP but i haven't got there yet.

Thanks all for the replies!!

Is there anyway to install an OS on bootcamp without having an actual CD ? I have a windows 7 iso file that i'd like to use to install windows 7 via bootcamp but I don't have blank CDs to burn the iso file onto to install it. Is there any way around this or am I stuck burning a copy of the OS ?

Update: I purchased the Macbook, played around with it in bestbuy for about 20-30 minutes, Im on it right now, played with it at home for about 20 minutes, so far I love it. I will be using boot camp for XP but i haven't got there yet.

Thanks all for the replies!!

Congrats. Hope you like your purchase and the Apple side of things.

Is there anyway to install an OS on bootcamp without having an actual CD ? I have a windows 7 iso file that i'd like to use to install windows 7 via bootcamp but I don't have blank CDs to burn the iso file onto to install it. Is there any way around this or am I stuck burning a copy of the OS ?

I remember reading something about creating the .ISO as a virtual partition using Disk Utility, and then having BootCamp read off of that. I can't recall where I read this (or if it's even accurate) but I think it's possible.

Honestly, you'd be a lot better off giving someone 50 cents for the blank DVD-R and burning it.

This is assuming you have the ISO image

repartition your drive with Disk Utility to have 3 Partitions

OS X (Part 1)
Install Disk (Part 2)
Other OS (Part 3)

go into Part 2 in disk utility, go to the restore tab, use the install disk ISO as source, and drag part 2 to the destination field. Click Restore

Once this is done, reboot, hold option, and you should be able to boot from the second partition

should have made a hackintosh. too late now.

although, I agree, for a full size laptop a real mac is probably the best.

When the guy at the Apple Store told me whenever I call tech support I speak to someone in America that speaks English I was sold that the laptop was worth the extra few hundred bucks. Not to mention all the other great things about them.

When the guy at the Apple Store told me whenever I call tech support I speak to someone in America that speaks English I was sold that the laptop was worth the extra few hundred bucks. Not to mention all the other great things about them.

A lot of people fail to realize how important and vital this really is. Not only from a customer service standpoint, but for jobs, economically, etc.

Plus, it's relatively nice to be able to go to the Apple store in the vicinity and have them look at it and take care of shipping it out, instead of relying on finding a box that'll fit, packaging the product, making your own RMA, then hoping they repair it and don't say, "Oh well, you didn't package it properly, so that's why it doesn't work. Sorry noob, go buy a new one."

That, and the fact that their policy on repairs is "Could it have been our fault? If yes, we fix. If it could not have possibly been our fault.. we still might fix. Otherwise, we charge."

Course.. they seldom like fixing my stuff.. but I void warrantee's left and right.. (though, I did bring in my obviously voided warrantee macbook and they still replaced the logic board for me. I swapped the LCD/topcase from a black Macbook onto a newer white macbook.)

I agree that they are seemingly generous with their repairs. I had my logic board replaced on a 15" MBP (it was a recognized defect) which was one year out of warranty. They also replaced my broken optical drive at no charge, which they certainly didn't have to do.

I'm on my third Apple laptop now. I game less and work with photos more, so OSX fits the bill perfectly. Granted if there were a cheap and well built PC that rivaled a unibody mac, I'd consider it next time around.

Just to chime in:

I went Mac because I was just bored with Windows. I never had problems with Windows but there was just nothing new for me to learn about. So I went Mac, and I'm very happy with it. I can't ever see myself going back to Windows.

And also, 2GB will be just fine. I personally put 4GB in my MBP right out of the box so I can't comment how 2GB vs 4GB is performance wise in day to day tasks, but my sister is running on 2GB on a Mac Mini and it's smooth as butter.

jrdonnaruma - I love how you just shut up udo...guess he didn't know as much as he thought he does. I have an original Macbook and have had it just over 3 years now. the only issue I had was last year my hard drive went belly up and I replaced it with a new 320 gig drive. I did have an issue with my topcase and the front edge breaking at the palm rest. I checked with a couple of my contacts at Apple and found that yes this was a know issue BUT it was only being covered for 3 years from date of purchase. Well unfortunately for me that was in October so I am 4 months outside of that time frame. I went to the local Apple store today and 30 minutes later I had a new top case installed at no charge. Try that with a PC

edit: removed. The below has nothing to do with OSx86, so it'll stay. :)

edit: That includes the Agility SSD. Perhaps the problem AnandTech is describing is limited to 2009 MacBooks?

Last edited:
DX58SO is just as compatible as any of those Gigabyte boards. All you really need is an Intel chipset!

For one, Linux is not supported like OSX is. Many more companies release drivers for OSX than those who provide Linux drivers. There is also a support number/storefront. I use both, and Windows on a regular basis, and they really do all have their niches.

Back