mac style screenshots on windows??

antok86

[H]F Junkie
i wanted to konw if there is a program that will let me take screenshots in windows the way mac osx does. where you can do selective/highlighting what you want to be captured.
Thanks

In XP, if you press PrintScreen you get the whole screen. If you press and hold Alt and then press PrintScreen, you'll capture the active window only. As for capturing specific areas, that's not possible with just the XP OS itself.

In Vista, same idea: PrintScreen for the whole screen, Alt+PrintScreen for the active window, but Vista also has a new addition called the Snipping Tool. When activated, it'll let you "draw a box" around an area of the visible Desktop and copy that to the Clipboard. That's about as close as it gets to a "Mac-like" way of capturing Desktop images.

Vista's version of Paint also adds a new Crop feature that's been lacking from Paint forever. Take a screenshot, draw a box around what you want to keep, then Crop it and you get exactly what you wanted and everything else is thrown out.

There are tools, third party software, that give you more functionality but I don't use 'em myself. PrintScreen or Alt+PrintScreen then paste into Paint Shop Pro where I can do the editing I require is more than enough for me.

oh wow i didnt know vista had a snipping tool....looks like what i want.
thnks

Back