mac se mod

starhawk

[H]F Junkie
ok... i have this old mac se rusting in the garage... might as well do something useful with it. so i'm going to turn it into a pretty good pc.

if i had a scanner id post my conceptual... by the end of the weekend i will have pix of the actual thing...

i am going to be doing the prelim stuff this weekend (if i have time):

- gutting the original innards
- cutting the left side window
- cutting up the back so i can put in a proper pc back
- cutting the drive bay holes in
- painting it black

fish tank ?? you know you want to..

what do you plan to do for the monitor?

most lcds that small are not a 3:4 ratio.. they are wider.. and i don't think there are any color crts that small.. my dad has 2 of those.. so maybe you will inspire me to steal one from him...

planned system is as follows:

athlon xp 3000+
chaintech 7nil1 mobo
1gb ddr sdram
160gb seagate barracuda hdd
54x/36x/54x/16x cd-rw/dvd-rom drive
floppy drive

i know a floppy in this day and age tends to see the same sort of use as a drive bay cover, however (1) i have yet to begin trusting cf cards and (2) i have no cf card readers on any other comps in my house so one on this mod would be impractical.

i am planning to cool that proc with a thermaltake tr2 m4. it doesnt get great cfm but im not going to be overclocking... im going to sit that on a frozencpu cpu shim.

the 4 fans i plan on sticking in this thing will be run off of an aerocool gatewatch.

:confused: this is my first mod so i would love to hear (read) suggestions and opinions... i wont be offended. i promise.

Well I don't exactly know what ur working w/ cause i don't do MACs so for any suggestions I would have to see some pics but I always like to hear of someone turning a a MAC into a PC :D

have u considered watercooling? Just a thought if theres room.....

get a mobile amd xp... if you are going socket A.. you need a mobile.. it is that simple.. they have lower stock operating voltages to create less heat... or the voltage can be brought up and they will be faster than that 3000+.. seriously.. i think any mobile will most likely clock faster than that...
get on of these 3
35 watt 2200+
35 watt 2400+
45 watt 2600+

unless you already have most of the parts..

also.. you never said what monitor are you going to use

There are very few Micro ATX boards that support multi adjustments, I only know of one, Biostar M7NCG 400 revision 7.2. Newegg has them but I'm not sure of the revision number.

lol, I saw this thread title and thought you were going to make some sort of "go4t se" type mod with a mac case......:D

ok... i was away for the weekend... so here goes:

(1) i did not have time to do the work id planned. eta is about 3 weeks... sorry. i'm in college & parents are divorced... and the parent i don't visit that often is the one w/ the mac.
(2) sorry scott. no fish in this one. i had originally hoped to fit a 9" screen in there but have since abandoned the idea. current concept for that space is a bolted-on lexan window w/ red foam rubber tubing to fill in the cracks. before you ask: lexan is easier to cut. you just cut it real slow w/ a jigsaw.
(3) not ready to mess w/ watercooling yet, lentic. this will be my first mod beyond daydreams and sketches. i will do a watercooled comp someday, though.
(4) i want something comparable in performance to a 3.0ghz p4... to prove to my mom that a 2.5ghz celeron may be an improvement on a 90mhz p1 but it most certainly does not kick @$$ or even a tennis ball. thats why i put 4 fans in this thing.
(5) :confused: what do you mean by 'multi adjustments', Crimeandevil?

The multiplier of the CPU, stock Mobile Bartons have an 8x Multi and a 133 FSB which would make it a 1Ghz CPU (my 2400+ loaded up at 600Mhz though but now I have it set to 11.5 at 200fsb). So unless you want to have a 600Mhz-1Ghz Mobile you'll need a motherboard that supports multi Adjustments.

:mad: idiots on the website never said anything about *that* grrrrrrrrrrr...

i have to go to class. will check that mobo later...

hmmmm... no revision # is listed... but it *does* say that the max fsb is 400mhz... is that what i am looking for? :eek: lacking a cs/ee degree, i do not know everything about mobos.

Go ahead and buy it and then check the board revision number after you get it.

no $$. no credit card. no paypal. no reason. i will order the guts once i am finished prepping the case.

macse... i thought you should take a mac case and give it a big hole... reminiscent of !!!!!! ;)

thanx.

looks like that's the drive...

and i may be getting a 300w psu from Crim as well. hope it lights up so i don't have to mod it...

Opps, the fan doesn't light up but if you want I can mod it for you (for a small charge eg: price of the fan and $2) or you can do it yourself. :) The fan is a clear type so I was thinking of just using some UV spray paint on it.

nevermind about the new fan then... that paint job will look cool as :eek:

so the modded psu is gonna be $29 now?

:cool: not that that's a bad thing... cheapest comparable psu i could find is $59

If you want to left over UV paint (I can't think if I'll need orange) you can have the PSU for $25 and an extra $3 for the rest of the paint. Maybe you could get some arcrylic fan guards and paint them with it. :D

not really into acrylic fan guards that glow... but i might find a use for it :rolleyes: like spray-painting the cables and cable ties so i don't have to sleeve the thing.

another bump!

:confused: three bumps and nothing from anyone. tell me, is my thread just uninteresting, or am i really talking to myself here?

ack! halfway down the page! bump!!!

:confused: 4 bumps but no comments. whaddaya guys waiting for, a signed invitation? you got that now.

Check out this site. Should give you some good ideas. I'm not saying you have to follw his example exactly, but it might point you in the right direction.

izzat that silver mac? already seen it... i printed out each pic to study.

mine is going to be black, orange and red, like a gateway to #@!!. hope i can get a copy of ut2k3 somewhere so i can use it for something nasty the way it looks.

If you can figure out how to make that Mac floppy drive work with the new mainboard, it is very cool in that it autoloads with a soft touch eject. it may be only 800mb, however. That would depend on the version of the SE you have.

it's a 1991 mac se... and there is going to be a rather large gatewatch fan controller in the area where the floppy drive is now.

unless i see something cooler looking between now and then, or i can't afford it (which is unlikely).

as i found out from crim, "bump" means that you send your thread to the top of the "new posts" lists.

since this will be my first mod, i am wanting plenty of help, so i want this to stay at the top, or near it.

Back