Mac OSX puTTy settings?

nismohks

Limp Gawd
i normally use my vaio laptop with winxp and puTTy in order to access my uni network and access its internet as well while im on campus.

i use putty to connect to a host name and port then also to forward a port to the uni so i can access the uni's proxy cache by setting the proxy of my internet explorer to 127.0.0.1 and port 8000

how do i do this on a mac?

i know of the inbuilt ssh program but i have no idea how to use it

i can access the host and login with my uni details, but i simply can not get the net working which i need to foward a port to access its proxy cache.

but i don't know how to take settings from my puTTy and put them into OSX.

basically here are my settings for putty tha i need to be changed over to OSX:

HOST NAME : www.address.edu.au
PORT: 22
PROTOCOL: SSH

SSH TUNNEL
FORWARDED PORTS: L8000 www-cache.somethinggoeshere:8000

using the OSX terminal i can login in to myuni account and access my uni drive just by using this command:

ssh [email protected]

i can see all my folders etc. but i want to be able to access the school's proxy so that i can use my internet explorer to access its internet. On my putty for the winxp machine, in the proxy settings for IE i normally have 127.0.0.1 and port 8000 under Connections and LAN settings.

i just dont know how to reach the cache proxy.

any help please?

Look at the -L option. You're forwarding a local port through the tunnel. You'll also need an option to share the local port to more than one machine if you're not using a browser on your Mac.

There's lots of docs out there on ssh port-forwarding...The ssh client OS X uses is the standard OpenSSH client.

i access my uni drive contents on the terminal window, and i want to access the internet using Firefox

Yes, it's quite trivial really. I used to do it all the time. You can even use SSH's built-in SOCKS4 proxying.

All you have to do is play with it a bit and I'm sure you'll get it.

i don't really get it. I'm not very good at this netwokring stuff so i don't know what is what.

for example i don't know what the pot 8000 i use in my IE is called in terms of ssh and what the port 22 of my unis thing is called as well...

sorry... :confused:

i tried using this command:

ssh -L 8000:www-cache.myuni.edu:8000 myuser@www.ug.it.myuni.edu

and it said that :
bind:address already in use
Cannot listen to port 8000
could not request local forwarding

but i can still access my uni files. just cant access the cache thing which is waht im trying to forward. any idea?

i need to forward a local port 8000 to www-cache.myuni.edu.au:8000

in puTTy that setting is called a port forward with a source port of 8000 to a destination of www-cache.myuni.edu.au:8000

"L8000 www-cache.myuni.edu.au:8000"

that setting is so that i can use IE and set up the proxy to be 127.0.0.1 and port 8000 so i can access the cache from my uni.

thanks for your patience

Do you perhaps have something already listening at port 8000 on your machine? Does it give you the same error if you run the command as root/admin? I haven't seen that specific error before.

You're getting close, though. :)

i dont know lol

im not really into macs hahaha

there is only one account on the mac though so i assume that i'm admin already.

how can i check if the machine is listening at port 8000 already?

Back