Mac OSX and ATH-M50xBT

SeaWulf

Limp Gawd
I'm having an interesting issue with my bluetooth headphones and my Macbook.

To summarize, only one app can have audio focus at a time. For example, if I am in a Zoom meeting and open up a chrome tab that has audio like and ad, video etc the Zoom meeting's audio gets muted and the chrome tab takes focus (or vice versa). This isn't exclusive to these two programs, though. Again, I can't, for example listen to music and have SC2 audio. Or play SC2 while in a zoom meeting and retain audio for both.

I can't seem to find anything in the system audio settings dialog and can't turn up anything online when I search for things like "Macbook bluetooth audio focus settings".

Has anyone encountered this?

Do you have the issue with other BT receivers? I've got 3 BT receivers in my house, and with a 2016 MBP (running Mojave), none of them have this issue.

BTW: These 2$ BT 5.0 receivers outperform anything else I currently have... For BT line out duty... Compared even to preamped boards in the 30$ range (just set gain on PAs properly). Even into 1500w of (I assume A/B) rack amps. No low or ultra-high end rolloff. Just use a solid 5v source with at least 750ma.

Last edited:
Do you have the issue with other BT receivers? I've got 3 BT receivers in my house, and with a 2016 MBP (running Mojave), none of them have this issue.

Good idea, I have a couple BT speakers that I can give a shot.

old BT or old macos?

Headphones are less than a year old, it's a MBP 2018 with Mojave 10.14.6. I see that there is a new major release out now

Headphones are less than a year old, it's a MBP 2018 with Mojave 10.14.6. I see that there is a new major release out now
should work then. check everything's options to make sure nothing has exclusive control. is that even an option on mac?!

should work then. check everything's options to make sure nothing has exclusive control. is that even an option on mac?!

Sound "options" are pretty much non existent:

Screen Shot 2020-05-19 at 3.49.32 PM.png

I'm guessing it's something specific to the headphones -- With the MINIJAMBOX playing audio I was able to pull up two YT videos and also play an .mp4 video saved on my computer with all 3 audio tracks being played through the speaker at once

After narrowing down the issue to the headphones I found out that there is a FW update available for them. Using the AT Connect app on my android I was able to update the phones and the issue seems to be resolved :)

Back