Mac Mini Questions

VA Supremacy

Limp Gawd
My PowerMac G3 is having trouble logging in and the monitor has a greenish tint. I've tried to boot from the CD drive to use the diagnostic on the installation disc but of course that is having trouble.

Been thinking of upgrading to a Mac Mini for awhile mainly for a music server which kinda failed with the G3.

Anyway... ..

1) Can I switch to OS9 and OS X Tiger (I would like to still be able to play some games that work in those OSes) from the hard drives if I use an external enclosure?

2) I assume I will be able to access all files (documents, pictures and music) and transfer it to the Mini, right? Possibly even use the HDs as extra storage for this?

3) Which Mac Mini? old or new one?

4) If I really want OS9 and OS X Tiger would a G4 or even G5 be better?

5) Profit?

1. Not on an Intel Mac, no.

2. Support for legacy file systems in OS X is limited, but I believe so, yes.

3. What are your needs? If you don't need the HDMI output capability or the somewhat faster GPU power in the new mini, you may be fine with an older model.

4. Absolutely, yeah. The mini was never offered with a G5, however. The G4 is incredibly underwhelming in comparison to Core and Core 2 processors, but G4 minis are relatively inexpensive.

5. You missed a step: ???

Mainly using it as a collection for music (maybe a server of some sort) and some light stuff (web browsing, youtube, NeoOffice/OpenOffice.org etc.). No gaming or anything that stresses the CPU, GPU or whatever.

Early 2006-to mid 2007? What would be the best date? Should I stay away from the early ones? And what's the deal with the monitor out? Do I need a an adapter or a separate cable like from small DVI to normal DVI?

Would an Intel Mac last longer than the G4 counterpart? I'm kinda leaning to Intel.

I was thinking as a cheap option (solely for transferring the data to windows PC) to get a PowerMac G4 or PowerMac G5 since I have seen the towers on eBay, Craiglist, and a store locally that sells them rather cheaply. That way I can also keep OS9 and OS X Tiger though I might quit using them if I get a Mac Mini.

????

Last edited:
Back