Mac Mini M1 as a glorified Apple TV

Liver

Supreme [H]ardness
I’d like to use a Mac Mini M1 as a glorified Apple TV. Specifically I want to use the Mini to run Infuse which will get media from my Synology NAS. I can use Plex as well, but I really really like Infuse.

What do you recommend I use to control the Mini? Would a wireless keyboard with a built in track pad be good, or use an iPad to share screen? Or do I need to buy another AppleTV remote (I believe I can pair the remote with it).

I currently have a Logitech Mac wireless keyboard (has the command button) and a Magic Mouse.

If the iPad is the correct answer, what screen sharing app?

Edit. The Mini M1 will be doing other things as well. It’ll be on 24/7.

The AppleTV remote only works with TVOS unfortunately. I believe you can control a MacOS device using Switchcontrol via iPhone/iPad, so you could try that first as a free option. That or just get a bluetooth device as you mentioned.

Yeah, ideally you're already in Apple's ecosystem and you can use your iPhone to control the Mac Mini.

However you can also use Siri Remote 2nd generation as an example to control the Mac Mini. It does require third party software to do, and you may want to spend some time finding whatever will work best for you. Just doing a quick YouTube search I found this:

View: https://youtu.be/g1E3yRO4cF4?feature=shared

I don't endorse this shown software, as obviously I haven't used it. But I think there are maybe 2-3 remote options for using remotes on Macs.

It seems like some aspects of it are kind of clunky. But I suppose if you spend your time setting up the machine right and use good video management software so you can access your library easily, then hopefully the times you need to use kb/m will be limited.

I have this old HP media center remote from back in the day and I was curious if it would work on my MacBook Pro with Plex and it actually did. It was plug and play.
I think you can find these remotes and receivers for cheap on eBay.
This was back in 2017 when I tried it out.
IMG_1128.JPG

I personally just use a pair of Apple TV4K's Gen2 I believe (I have the model before the current ones).

If the iPad is the correct answer, what screen sharing app?

Edit. The Mini M1 will be doing other things as well. It’ll be on 24/7.
Use Sidecar (built in to macOS) to use your iPad to either act as a separate display or mirror an existing display. Some people have managed to use Sidecar with a Mac Mini as a sole display (don’t ask me how!).

Reactions: Liver
like this
So I finally got it done. With the Apple TV, I have the Apple TV remote. Done and done.

With this Mac Mini. I have the Sony TV remote to change inputs, a Magic Mouse, a Logitech keyboard. The Magic Mouse, maybe at the edge of its range (maybe), or its the wall in-between.

I tell you though, it plays 4k material so silky smooth, unlike the Apple TV. There is no way I am going to explain how it all works to the wife or kids. It's not even that hard, but why would I do that to myself?

Next time I'll use my laptop, but I'll still need the Sony remote. I didn't use that remove for months, so I took the batteries out of it.

Back