Mac Mini/iMac updates?

Archer75

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm sick of the ios talk, what are the rumors for any upcoming imac or mac mini refreshes? A month or two ago they were talking about new models coming out next month but I haven't really been able to find any talk about them amongst the sea of ios talk.

Excited for a new iMac with Sandy Bridge. My next purchase.

I do wish they'd make it easier to change out the hard drive, though.

My wish is to be able to swap in a SSD as easily as RAM.

I'm addicted to the speed and silence of SSDs (and don't have a lot of data), but Apple's BTO SSD is just too expensive and requires me to buy more computer than I need.

I watched a video at Engadget of one their editors swapping out the hard drive in a recent iMac revision, and it looked like a nightmare. I would definitely get a huge dust particle stuck between the glass.

LOL, I think I broke a fragile connector socket when I changed mine. I think it was for the IR receiver.

Excited for a new iMac with Sandy Bridge. My next purchase.

I do wish they'd make it easier to change out the hard drive, though.

Mine too. And ditto on the HD change nightmare being shitty.

Why cant Apple make a regular desktop style Mac? :rolleyes: Makes me want to go hackintosh, or just back to Windows.

Last edited:
That doesn't start at $2500

In that case, it’s because Apple is more interested in maintaining its own ecosystem of hardware than in catering to the extreme minority of people who like to tinker with their computers.

In that case, it’s because Apple is more interested in maintaining its own ecosystem of hardware than in catering to the extreme minority of people who like to tinker with their computers.

Who said anything about tinkering? It doesn't have to have anything at all to do with tinkering.

A lot of people need something more powerful than a mini but don't necssarily need a monitor. I just had this discussion with my mother today about this. Very non techy. She doesn't like all in one things because if one thing breaks you have to throw the whole thing away. If I have an imac and the monitor breaks I have to throw a perfectly good computer away. Or if the computer dies I have to throw a way a good monitor.

I don't know that i'd call having a tower having anything to do with tinkering. Being able to replace a video card is very nice. Or being able to have more than one hard drive. I can and have used this same monitor for many years and I don't want to have to pay for a new monitor every time I need a new computer.

Apple seems to think that everyone needs a computer to surf the web and make cut little movies and anything you do beyond that requires a workstation which certainly isn't the case.

Apple has sold consumer towers for a very long time so offering one wouldn't be anything new to them.

Last edited:
I already own a nice 24" monitor, yet I'll have to buy an iMac to get what I want.

I imagine I'm not the only potential Mac buyer in this situation, and I wonder how many chose not to buy a Mac because of it.

I already own a nice 24" monitor, yet I'll have to buy an iMac to get what I want.

I imagine I'm not the only potential Mac buyer in this situation, and I wonder how many chose not to buy a Mac because of it.

Me too. I'd like the Mac mini to be on par with their iMacs. Oh well, my q6600 desktop will hold me over for another year probably.

I am currently debating between the Mini and the iMac. While the iMac all-in-one system is nice I already have a decent keyboard, mouse, monitor and speaker system. So really the box is all I would need. Just went and picked up an Airport Extreme today as I have been less than thrilled with my Cisco E2000 (originally thought it was simultaneous dual-band). Hopefully this will turn out to be nice and it would be nice to see nothing but two small white boxes stacked on top of one another on my desk instead of the massive tower I have now. Really wish that you could get the Mini with ram/hdd options as I would love to do 4gb RAM and a 1TB drive.

Really wish that you could get the Mini with ram/hdd options as I would love to do 4gb RAM and a 1TB drive.
Pry 'er open, nearly disassemble the whole thing and you can upgrade the HDD (it's not really for the faint of heart). The newer models have easy access to the SODIMMs, just 3 screws IIRC.

With Sandy Bridge Minis likely coming in the future, if you want to get a Mini now, don't spend full price. I got my C2D 2.26GHz Mini from Apple as a refurb. It looked perfectly new and had the full warranty.

Pry 'er open, nearly disassemble the whole thing and you can upgrade the HDD (it's not really for the faint of heart). The newer models have easy access to the SODIMMs, just 3 screws IIRC.

With Sandy Bridge Minis likely coming in the future, if you want to get a Mini now, don't spend full price. I got my C2D 2.26GHz Mini from Apple as a refurb. It looked perfectly new and had the full warranty.

Yeah I noticed that after doing a little more looking around last night on the apple site. However they charge $500 to upgrade to 8gb of ram.. shit I can buy it for $80 and install myself and with them being intel systems they should not require anything super special! (right?) What is this "Sandy Bridge" you guys are talking about and where can I read up on it? Definitely don't have the funds now so it will wait until mid/end of summer before purchasing (shit I still have to finish my mtn bike build).

Think I saw an article that the macbook pros might go SSD and dvdless next refresh, i'm also hoping for better graphics on them too along with higher res screens without a hugh price premium (13" macbook pro reso is lower than the 11" macbook airs iirc) Just be nice to have the small 13" with more workspace to be had.

The mac mini refresh should fall in line after the macbooks tho. Standard cpu/ram/HD upgrades i assume along with graphics.

The biggest thing that i dislike about the iMacs is the graphics cards on them. Yeah they say they at 5770s but they are underclocked off bat compared to the PC counterpart. I'd like to see better cpus (quads over dual) the ram is okay at 4gigs most people dont need more than that.

I'm also on the tower mac solution that isn't a mac pro bandwagon. I had a hackintosh going till i upgraded my gfx to a 6950 which isn't supported yet on OSX

Overall 2011's refreshes are more or less gonna be Sandy Bridge upgrades i'm betting.

Oh one rumor I did hear is that Apple might be considering going AMD also. Just a rumor but it would be neat if they did. Their onboard graphics are much better than intels.

I can buy it for $80 and install myself and with them being intel systems they should not require anything super special! (right?)
Yes. It's easy to do with current mini models. There is an access panel on the bottom of the case. Most common memory seems to work fine in modern Macs.
What is this "Sandy Bridge" you guys are talking about and where can I read up on it? Definitely don't have the funds now so it will wait until mid/end of summer before purchasing (shit I still have to finish my mtn bike build).
Sandy Bridge just launched a few weeks ago. It's the new generation Intel CPU that's both much faster and cooler than previous Core 2 chips, and also a significant improvement over last generation Core i3/i5/i7 processors. There are a few questions though, like whether Apple will use the graphics built into Sandy Bridge or continue to use a discrete GPU. Sandy Bridge HD Graphics, while OK, are a step backwards in performance and GPGPU support (Sandy Bridge HD Graphics do not support OpenCL or CUDA). One of many Sandy Bridge reviews/overviews: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4083

yeah...i wonder what all this recall business means for the release of it in the mac.

Back