Mac Hack Contest May Include Linux and Vista

HardOCP News

[H] News
The promoters of the CanSecWest security research conference want to add Linux and Vista to its now famous Mac hacking contest. The idea is to give the contestants more variety.

Last year, show organizers invited attendees to hack into a Macintosh laptop, with the successful hacker winning the computer and a cash prize. But this year they're talking about giving attendees three targets to choose from. "We're thinking of having a contest where we have Vista and OS X and Linux... and see which one goes first."

I'm no haX0r but I would rather see them leave it as OSX only, since Mac cultists always like to tout the system's security as a reason why their choice is superior.

If someone were to compromise the laptop using Vista or Linux, I can hear it now, "Big deal, it's because of the flaws in <insert OS other than OSX here> that allowed them to do it."

Even though it's already been proven that Mac's are not immune to being hacked.

I'm no haX0r but I would rather see them leave it as OSX only, since Mac cultists always like to tout the system's security as a reason why their choice is superior.

If someone were to compromise the laptop using Vista or Linux, I can hear it now, "Big deal, it's because of the flaws in <insert OS other than OSX here> that allowed them to do it."

Even though it's already been proven that Mac's are not immune to being hacked.

I agree. They should leave it at just being the Mac OS and not add windows and linux. Like you mentioned, it will help knock them down a few pegs to help silence the cultist. Them adding windows and linux will only add to their fuel by giving allowing them to say that the mac os is so secure the contest had to add windows and linux to give the people something to actually hack.

i think its a good idea, but only if they allow a set number of people to hack each OS. see what team wins:) that would knock the mac zealots down a few pegs if OSX got trashed before vista.

I kinda see it this way.. But i do agree with they should leave out windows and linux

But the way i see it is, they are giving the hackers a challange by adding Linux and windows.. :D

The hackers are a great resource. The people running the contest should decide on one platform to hack, so that the most resources are working on hacking that platform. I could see allowing them to use Linux and Windows in aiding the hacking of the Mac. They should also not end the contest after the first hack, but wait out till the end of the time frame because possibly other vulnerabilities may be found.

i think its a good idea, but only if they allow a set number of people to hack each OS. see what team wins:) that would knock the mac zealots down a few pegs if OSX got trashed before vista.

This would work the best, because if it were a free for all, they'll all just go for Windows (the easiest target) and use that as "proof" of how "insecure" it is, which would defeat the whole purpose of a Mac hacking contest.

This would work the best, because if it were a free for all, they'll all just go for Windows (the easiest target) and use that as "proof" of how "insecure" it is, which would defeat the whole purpose of a Mac hacking contest.

You're assuming Windows IS the easiest target - should be a good laugh when this proves it isn't. The only reason Macs are seldomn hacked in the wild is that it's not worth the bother finding vulnerabilities when hardly anyone uses them. See how quickly the iPhone got hacked? That's what happens when people can be bothered going after an Apple product.

I agree with leaving it Mac-only. Putting other OS in it would just make them ignore the numbers as always and try to somehow compare it's superiority one way or another with the other OS.

Back