Mac External Display Problems

donahue

Gawd
My new Macbook Pro external display is not properly rendering text/images and I've spent hours researching this issue before posting here.

The below image shows the issues that I'm having - this is a screenshot of two separate screenshots I took of my Chrome browser tabs. The top browser tabs are from my Mac screen and the bottom browser tabs are from my external display. This screenshot is a cut-and-paste of both screenshots from each display, but is being shown on my external display.

Note how the "WSJ" tab icon renders differently on each screen, but the since the screenshot is from the external display rendering both instances, the external display is proven capable of rendering the "higher res" graphic.

ns940.png

Here is my setup:
MacBook Pro Retina 2013
Yosemite 10.10.1
Dell U2414H
Mini Display Port (MDP) connection

I've tried everything to fix this including a Ruby script to force the MBP to send an RGB signal to the external display. Nothing has worked.

Please suggest any fix that you think could help. Thanks!

First question:

Can you duplicate this behavior in Safari?

Second question:

What mode settings are you using on the U2414H? I have one connected to an older MBP here, set to sRGB with the gamma mode set for Mac - not sure if it makes a difference, but if you haven't tried switching that, try it.

Third question:

What display settings are you using? Standard retina for the MBP (which, if it's a 13", should be the setting that says "looks like 1280x800" or, for 15", "looks like 1440x900" I think) and "best for display" for the U2414H? I'm assuming they're not mirrored?

Very strangely, my HP notebook running Windows 7 exhibits the same icon rendering on the external display. I'm not sure what to make of this...

Answers to questions in post #2:
1. Safari behavior is the same.
2. I'm using RGB settings.
3. Running native 1920x1080 resolution.

You said the display is not properly rendering text/images, but the only example you showed is one site displaying a different icon, which is obviously not a monitor issue. The site is probably just choosing the icon based on the screen resolution. What rendering problems are you having?

Perhaps Toasty is right that the website shows a different icon for different resolutions... I also thought the text appeared blurry, but the changes I've made seem to have fixed that issue.

Back