mac compatible usb wireless cards for ibook

huaboi

n00b
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any usb 1.1 or 2.0 third party wireless alternatives to the airport extreme wireless card. Only one i could find was Dlink DWL 122

do you have a thing against Airport cards? they aren't that expensive and you don't have anything hanging off the side of your iBook then

haha no i don't have anything against airport cards. i just wanna know my options/prices and any other hardware that is compatible with apples.

USB NICs are only supported in OS9, I have yet to find any that are supported by OSX.

well I decided to be nice and updated the FAQ for places to purchse stuff....I just went to MacMall and searched for wireless usb adapter and had 47 hits...out of those there were a few for what I was looking for and here they are:

D-Link DWL-122 Wireless 802.11b 11Mbps USB adapter
Startech USB511WB 11 Mbps USB 802.11b Wireless Mini Adapter

the startech may or may not work as it didn't show OS X drivers but on the MacMall page it did say for both Win and Mac so who knows...I still say the Airport card is easier by far :D

Well, I got a DWL-120+ and it doesn't work with my iBook.
Maybe the latest products do..

I have the belkin usb f5d6050 802.11b usb adaptor working fine with osx 10.2. Drivers where on the Belkin site, if you need them though pm me.

It cost £25 in the uk from Watford.com. Works fine but it needs the ssid broadcast though or it seems to have issues.

Range is good too (going through 2 walls with a boiler in between).

Been using it on my 600 MHz iMac fine for a few weeks now.

The usb nic is 11b (11 Mbps), not 11g (54 Mbps).

Back