mac book pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

kilobyte

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 20, 2005
Messages
186
i am thinking of getting a mac book pro and i had a few question. first question is i should also wait for the qual core or just go for the dual core? 2ghz vs 2.33 would there be any real diff? should i spend the extra $$ or save it? i have a few others but there my main ones
 
I imagine it's going to be a little bit before we see a quad core chip in a portable.

Save a few bucks and go with the 2.0 or 2.16GHz model. You could pick up a refurb and save a little too.
 
yea i knew it was going to be awhile before the quad cores are in labtops, so you guys don't think i will see any difference with the 2.0 and 2.33? they only come in those 2 speeds
 
I'm not sure where you're finding those clock speeds, the current model with Core2Duo chips is available at 2.16GHz and 2.33GHz.
 
Although 4cores would be nice, there's really not a lot you can do that'll take advantage of them now, and probably even when they are out. I do agree that things will be overall faster, but trust me, dual core is pleeeenty fast.

I have a 2.13ghz core duo that I got almost a year ago, I LOVE IT.
 
yea just checked apple's site, sorry about the wrong clock speeds, so 2.16 vs 2.33 any real jump in speeds? i know if it was a normal labtop i would not see that much of a jump, but since i have no clue about macs i though i would ask.
 
[ T ] A C O;1030796868 said:
Good grammar is hot.

Id save my money and buy english lessons.

Fixed.

Annnnyway. I would Wait for updates... Macbook pro updates should be comming very soon.
 
unless your using the laptop at %100 cpu usage all the time the 2.13 will be fine.
 
unless your using the laptop at %100 cpu usage all the time the 2.13 will be fine.
If you're folding@home why wouldn't you be using it at 100% load 24/7 :D
The Mac-Intel SMP client is amaaaazing, 1000points per day almost.
 
yea just checked apple's site, sorry about the wrong clock speeds, so 2.16 vs 2.33 any real jump in speeds? i know if it was a normal labtop i would not see that much of a jump, but since i have no clue about macs i though i would ask.

They're using Intel processors so a 166MHz bump in clock speed isn't much. I'd check out the refurbs and see if you can get a CoreDuo or Core2Duo MBP and save a few bucks.
 
I wouldn't expect to see quad cores anytime soon in a MBP. You're going to see a little boost in getting a faster model, but you'll pay a premium with it. Bare in mind that there's two different graphic options as well- one with 128MB ram and one with 256MB.

You can save a boatload of cash if you get a Core Duo from the retail store refurbed.
 
If you're folding@home why wouldn't you be using it at 100% load 24/7 :D
The Mac-Intel SMP client is amaaaazing, 1000points per day almost.

if I'm on a laptop and battery life is critical? when it's plugged in sure why not, but on the go? no way.
 
if I'm on a laptop and battery life is critical? when it's plugged in sure why not, but on the go? no way.
The client stops folding when on battery. :D

I get juuuuust about 4 hours of battery life, whenever I'm only typing notes I'll spike to 5 hours baaarely.
 
The client stops folding when on battery. :D

I get juuuuust about 4 hours of battery life, whenever I'm only typing notes I'll spike to 5 hours baaarely.

Hmm; didn't know it stopped.

And I never trust battery meters. 5 hours really means 3 and 4 hours really means 2.5.

4 hours is the most I've ever gotten on my MacBook (non-pro) with bluetooth off, wifi off, and brightness at 1 tick for as long as I could studying while wondering the kind of life I could get out of this thing.
 
They're using Intel processors so a 166MHz bump in clock speed isn't much. I'd check out the refurbs and see if you can get a CoreDuo or Core2Duo MBP and save a few bucks.


So if it was AMD it would make a diff? remeber these are the Core 2 Duo's nothing less, so yes 166mhz could show a diff, but only if your doing alot of CPU intesnsive work.

<--- 2ghz macbook here and is is zippy, even under XP on bootcamp.
 
Hmm; didn't know it stopped.

And I never trust battery meters. 5 hours really means 3 and 4 hours really means 2.5.

4 hours is the most I've ever gotten on my MacBook (non-pro) with bluetooth off, wifi off, and brightness at 1 tick for as long as I could studying while wondering the kind of life I could get out of this thing.

if your using Increase, you have to change the options to run while on battery, otherwise by default it is turned off.

Frankly Increase 2.2 is a god send for OSX folders.
 
if your using Increase, you have to change the options to run while on battery, otherwise by default it is turned off.

Frankly Increase 2.2 is a god send for OSX folders.
You hit the nail on the head. I love Increase. It's really helped me out as I deploy F@H onto friends Mac's.

And I never trust battery meters. 5 hours really means 3 and 4 hours really means 2.5.
Same, I've disabled my battery meters and I rely on iStat.
The five hours is from my use, not a meter. :)
 
never used Istat, i am plugged in msot of the time, but drain the bat every 2 weeks or so, but ya, i tried doing F@H alone, was so hard it seemed!! so found Increase, just wow, made life easy :) now getting 1700 point WU that take about 30 hours :)
 
Frankly Increase 2.2 is a god send for OSX folders.

So what is Increase 2.2? I've been looking on their website and can't really figure out what it does.
 
So if it was AMD it would make a diff? remeber these are the Core 2 Duo's nothing less, so yes 166mhz could show a diff, but only if your doing alot of CPU intesnsive work.

<--- 2ghz macbook here and is is zippy, even under XP on bootcamp.

The difference between 2 and 2.16ghz is very, very tiny.
 
So what is Increase 2.2? I've been looking on their website and can't really figure out what it does.
It's like a management tool for the F@H app.

The Intel Mac Client is in beta so it doesn't support the more advanced features like "pause on battery" or any of the details of the current protein, that's where Increase comes in.

I also use Increase to monitor all the clients on my network. It's nifty.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top