Mac Book Pro Questions

3-Phase

Limp Gawd
I was considering getting either the 15.4" MBP or the Dell m1330. I can get a student discount through my college for the MBP or the Dell, but the discount I get for the $1999 MBP brings the price to $1799. This is a much better deal in terms of price compared to a similarily spec'd m1330, plus it has a better video card. So, I have decided to get the MBP, but I have some concerns because I have never owned a Mac.

Can you upgrade the video card in a MBP? I am guessing it might not be worth it though since you can only go from the 128MB 8600M GT to the 256MB 8600M GT. What kind of performance difference would I get?

Can HD's be upgraded in a MBP?

Can the battery be removed?

Is the Parallels software for running Vista/XP included?

Video card cannot be upgraded after purchase. There are a few reviews out there for performance difference between the 2 models. You might try googling "macbook pro santa rosa review" or something to that effect.

Hard Drives can be upgraded in the MacBook Pro after purchase, but im pretty sure that voids you warranty if you do it yourself. To contrast, upgrading the HD in a regular MacBook is considered a user doable upgrade by Apple.

Battery is definitely removable and replacable, although pretty expensive.

Parallels software is not included. Its costs about 80 bucks i think. The only thing you can get for free would be Bootcamp off Apple's webiste, but you would still need to purchase a copy of windows for either case.

You might wanna try looking at the Apple Forums section as reading thru it will answer most of your questions.

If you're looking for performance to price ratio, have you taken a look at Dell's Vostros and Inspirons? Just for kicks, I just specced out a Vostro 1500 with the following:

T7500 2.2ghz
512mb RAM
256MB 8600GT
80gb HDD
DVD writer

It came out to be $1138. Add $50 for 2gb of RAM and you've got a system that will give the MBP a run for its money. That's not counting Dell's ever-present discounts and coupons. You could add in some pricey extras and use the new $300 off coupon for an Inspiron 1520. The MBP will obviously still be smaller, lighter, and (subjectively) better looking, but the price differential is pretty considerable. Sorry if that's not what you're looking for, just a suggestion.

Yeah, I actually just spec'd out a 1520 for about $1800, and an added benefit is the 1680x1050 resolution. The dell is looking better now. I don't think I would use mac OSX much anyway.

How can I get this $300 coupon.

I have never heard of Vostros from dell...

Are you sure you can't get a discount on a Dell through your school? Almost all Universities have discounts through Dell.

Also, you need to factor in the cost of getting Windows XP or Vista into the price of the MBP. Some Universities provide that, but most don't. You will likely still have to pay about 100$ through your University to acquire a copy of Windows. You might be able to get by just running OSX depending upon what type of study you are going into. I know for my engineering program you need XP because lots of the software you use is not offered for OSX.

Finally, you will want a warranty on the laptop for at least 3 preferably 4 years. If something goes wrong you will want it fixed ASAP so you are still able to do your coursework. I think Dell probably has cheaper coverage there too.

The MBP is a damn sexy piece of hardware, but when you factor everything in I don't think an Apple product will ever be the best value.

I do get a discount through my school, and I got vista ultimate for $20.

However, the Inspiron 1520 looks better price and performance wise.

One question about the sound card for the 1520:

I have the option to choose this:

Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy™HD Software Edition

OR

Creative Labs Express Sound Card

What is this express sound card, and is it better than the sound blaster?

I know the soundblaster is just software, thats all, it is pointless. Not sure about the other one.

I just ordered the 1520 with that express card. Apparently the order says it is a Soundblaster X-Fi sound card that goes in the express slot.

http://www.soundblaster.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=208&product=16642

The only thing I don't like is that it looks like it will stick out of the side of the laptop.

Oh well, I guess I will still use it. :)

I can't wait for this thing to arrive. Dell takes too long. It won't ship until August 3rd. :(

Back