MAC based VLANs

hellosky

Weaksauce
What is a quick and easy (and not too expensive) way to set up MAC based VLANs? I understand that Cisco's VMPS protocol is decomissioned and 802.1x authentication is the way to go.

I was hoping to use Windows Server 2008 R2 NPS to set up the MAC based VLANs, but I am willing to change software if need be. I also would like to use a Gigabit switch, not 10/100.

I would like to have three VLANs:
VLAN1 for servers
VLAN2 for workstations
VLAN3 for unknown machhines

calvinj

[H]ard|Gawd
I think 802.1x would be the way to go for your desktops and unknown machines, I would statically set your servers on their own vlan and not mess with it. I think you can do it all with server 2008 nps and dot1x on a switch.

hellosky

Weaksauce
Thanks for that - what kind of switches do I need to be looking for? I assume it has to be at least a managed Gigabit one.

Due to the physical layout of the apartment I need two 8 port switches (not a single 16) ... any recommended brands/models?

Autopia

Limp Gawd
why not a 16 or 24 port switch, the nice thing about vlan is you can take one 16 port switch or a 24 port switch and trun that into a 8 port switch using ciscos vlan protocol.

hellosky

Weaksauce
Machines are scattered throughout the apartment, physical layout requires 2 8 port switches.

Any recommended models? This is the part I'm stuck on. I am not sure what to look for exactly. Some explicitly say dynamic VLANs while other mention stuff like GVRP...

hellosky

Weaksauce
Not sure about ACLs as I want machines to go into different VLANs rather than blocking outright

Cisco is the king, I realize ... but they are so expensive. A 8-port gigabit switch costs $1000...

Autopia

Limp Gawd
yeah once you own one you can upgrade the cisco os, plus you are using a level 3 switch or the router to direct the packets to the other pcs you want them to go to. I don't know if you own microsoft server 2008, but if you take the cost of buying 2 cheap switches and 2008 server isn't that close to the cost of a cisco switch, or a used one?

Last edited:

Shockey

2[H]4U
yeah once you own one you can upgrade the cisco os, plus you are using a level 3 switch or the router to direct the packets to the other pcs you want them to go to. I don't know if you own microsoft server 2008, but if you take the cost of buying 2 cheap switches and 2008 server isn't that close to the cost of a cisco switch, or a used one?

Search hard enough on ebay and bid fast enough you can get them for dirt cheap. ;)

hellosky

Weaksauce
I think the only thing that will really work for me is the Cisco 2960G series switches. Unfortunately it ain't cheap.

I found a 8 port switch for $500 but it ships out of hong kong ... i wonder if it is legit.