M4N98TD EVO and 2 way SLI

Has anyone had some hands on with this board yet?
I just recently built my new rig with this one.

If you're thinking like I was with sticking to an AMD/Nvidia Sli setup this board might be a problem if you want to SLI your GPUs unless you plan to water cool the GPU cards.
You can put in two stock cooled GTX 295s or GTX 480s but you'll not be able to use ether of the two PCI slots.
If you remove the stock HSF and put on some decent watercooling blocks you'll be able to use at lest one of the PCI slots for something.

It was just bad placement of the slots from Asus but it does run like a champ and has some niffty over clocking tools in the bios.;)

legacy slots have outlived their usefulness.. anything you could get on legacy pci is now available on pcie x1..

I've been running this board for a few months now with the setup in my sig, and I love it. No issues with my 9800GTX SLI or current 460GTX SLI setups, but I don't overclock either. I can't comment on space issues since I don't have anything other than video cards installed. Rock solid stability once I realized I can't run my memory kit beyond 4GB - I didn't bother to check the compatibility chart when I bought 8GB :(.

Running my sons rig with this mobo and a x2 550 unlocked to quad @ 3.7 Ghz water cooled,
2 Evga 460 GTX cards. You are correct that using the pci slot between the video cards will block the first cards air flow but I plan on getting a Pcie audio card and hell you should not have any problems with clearence even using a large air cooled cpu heatsink. The sacrifice of running Sli :p

In the coming weeks I'm going to start buying up my water cooling parts.
I'm thinking of getting that Danger Den Double Wide 21 tower.. it would make a nice side table and Computer case :D
Setup all my water cooling in that since it will have plenty of space.
Then invest in 2 GTX 480 Femis.

Though I like this guys custom build he had them do
http://photos.dangerden.com/photos/swfpopup.mg?AlbumID=14177244&AlbumKey=tuEVT

Oh snap now I have something else I might add into the loop
http://www.mips-computer.com/index...._MIPSProductline_RAMCooler_NickelPomBlack.htm

Last edited:
My Sound Blaster 4 pro pci works just fine in 5.1 mode explain to me why I need to buy a new modem over priced card that does exactly the same thing just in a pcie slot?

Back