M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 - No audio

boxplox

n00b
Hi, [H]ard.

EDIT, read before:
I finally RMA'd the board. I tried virtually everything a mere mortal could, and concluded the sound chip had to be defective.

---
I've got this new Asus M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, as a replacement for a glitchy Gigabyte 890GPA-UD3H.

Since both have the same chipsets, I simply swaped in the boards, keeping my current Win7 setup. After the initial setup, I realized the audio didn't work. I removed the previous Realtek HD audio drivers and proceeded to download Asus' drivers for this board - without success.

I just have absolutely no sound at all, either from the front panel or the rear I/O panel. Win7 shows sound going out (the little volume indicator). A quick search showed similar problems over google, where one guy simple returned the board for another one.

EDIT: Important detail I noticed: the realtek HD audio manager will always display that the audio out jack on the _front_ panel is plugged in, no matter what I do with the front panel. If I plug nothing, it shows the audio out plugged. If I plug in something in the audio out(light green), it displays like I plugged something in the pink jack. If I plug in something in the pink jack, it also think I plugged something in the pink jack. Removing anything plugged makes it think I plugged in something in the green jack.

Should I RMA the board?
Funny enough, I'm replacing a faulty gigabyte board with this one...

HW details:
X6 1055T
8GB Corsair
500W OCZ
awesome mouse pad

Last edited:
if you are using an ATI video card(possibly onboard ati video also) you need to change the sound device in the control panel....mine says ATI high definition audio device(this needs to read Not plugged in)

Speakers..should say realtek HD audio device(set this to default device)

soundcontrol.jpg
xp

soundcontrol-1.png
win7

Last edited:
Semi copy-pasta of my 'Playback' tab, under Sound:

-Speakers
2-Realtek High Definition Audio
Default Device

-Realtek Digital Output
Ready

-Realtek Digital Output(Optical)
Ready

-AMD HDMI Output
3-AMD High Definition Audio
Not plugged in
---
When something plays, the first one has the little bar moving.
---
Sweet XP theme.

I reinstalled the drivers, those are v6.0.1.6037. Same issue.
I also tried with the 'stock' Win7 drivers (i had no expectation for those, however...) and the Realtek HD Audio drivers (from Realtek, non-oem) - no avail.

Very strange indeed...
may actually be most cost effective to just buy a cheap sound card,compared to shipping the board and downtime for RMA

Good luck

EDIT: Important detail I noticed: the realtek HD audio manager will always display that the audio out jack on the _front_ panel is plugged in, no matter what I do with the front panel. If I plug nothing, it shows the audio out plugged. If I plug in something in the audio out(light green), it displays like I plugged something in the pink jack. If I plug in something in the pink jack, it also think I plugged something in the pink jack. Removing anything plugged makes it think I plugged in something in the green jack.

Have you tried unplugging the front audio connector at the motherboard?
Reading the manual for your board it says you need to set the front audio type(hd audio or AC97) in the bios,Have you set this to the type of front audio your case uses?

daytripper67mi:
Well, this board is suposed to be my temporary replacement for the downtime that will be caused for the Gigabyte...

I find it very strange that I get 2 boards in a row, each with a different problem.

Also, yes, my front panel has connectors for both HD Audio and AC'97. At first I had HD Audio, and so was the bios set to. I also tried AC'97 (arranging the bios for that too). Didn't change. I also tried reconnecting many times the connection to the motherboard and I ended up eventually carefully examining the cables as well as the connection to the front panel pcb.

Case is HAF 912.

Back