M4A Instead of MP3

vischo

Gawd
Does anyone see a benefit in using mpeg4 audio files as opposed to MP3, how so?

What do you use to rip cd's to m4a? What do you use to convert mp3's to m4a/mp4?

Thanks for the input.....

vischo said:
Does anyone see a benefit in using mpeg4 audio files as opposed to MP3, how so?

What do you use to rip cd's to m4a? What do you use to convert mp3's to m4a/mp4?

Thanks for the input.....

Just use FLAC. M4A and MP3 are both lossy codecs.

M4A in my experience offers probably a 10% gain in quality/size depending on what you're going for. At this point hard drive space is so cheap though ripping to anything but FLAC seems a bit silly to me. Maybe if you own an MP3 player it would make sense. If you own an iPod then I guess M4A could be a sensible option.

iTunes can rip to M4a and transcoding from mp3 to another lossy format is a bad idea.

Hvatum said:
Just use FLAC. M4A and MP3 are both lossy codecs.

M4A in my experience offers probably a 10% gain in quality/size depending on what you're going for. At this point hard drive space is so cheap though ripping to anything but FLAC seems a bit silly to me. Maybe if you own an MP3 player it would make sense. If you own an iPod then I guess M4A could be a sensible option.

I just do 320kbps cbr mp3. - I cannot tell the difference.. and they are much more universally compatible. I hate foobar.

H-Money said:
if u have an ipod rip to apples lossless format ALAC or something

That's what I do but most people don't want to use that kind of space.

Back