M2N-Sli & GTX 260 = hard lock

Derf

Weaksauce
Greetings,

I've run into a problem neither myself or EVGA can seem to resolve so I'm asking for your help. My system: Asus M2N-Sli Deluxe, AMD X2 5600, 2GB DDR2-800, Corsair TX750 & Win XP SP3. Up until 2 weeks ago I was running 2 8800GT (256mb) in Sli with no problems. 2 weeks ago I got a new EVGA GTX 260 (Superclocked) and I uninstalled the 175.xx drivers, rebooted into safe mode, ran Drive Sweeper then installed the new card and the 177.41 drivers. I was able to run my games (Half-Life 2 etc) at full resolution (1680x1050 on an Acer 22" Lcd) with no issues. Last tuesday I booted up my PC and attempting to run any graphicly intensive app (F@H Gpu2) or game (Half-Life 1 thru Episode 2 all the way down to Asheron's Call) would cause the system to lock up and the 260 would stop sending a signal to my monitor. I RMA'd the card and got my replacement earlier today. Once again I uninstalled the 175.xx drivers, safe mode/driver sweeper, installed the new 260 and installed the 177.41 drivers. At this point I thought everything would be fine but I guess that's what I get for thinking... launching any game or F@H hard locks the system. After redoing all the steps including moving the card to the 2nd Pci-X slot and not making any progress I decided to do a fresh install of windows. I loaded up Half Life 2 and once again the system locks up. I've run Memtest86 on the ram (no errors), WD Diag on the HDD (no errors) and Sandra on the whole system ( again no errors). EVGA's techs say the problem has to be on my end even after I've explained to them all the steps I've taken. FYI, installing the 8800's let's me run everything normally. Right now I'm tearing my hair out as to what to do next since EVGA seems to not want to replace this card. Your help is appreciated & hopefully y'all see something I've overlooked.

Derf

Have you tried to monitor the supplied voltage when attempting to run a 3D app?
That PSU should be plenty, but worth seeing what the voltages run at under load.

Unfortunately when I try to run any 3d app the system locks up and the signal to the monitor stops. I do have a small multi-meter but am unsure how I'd be able to get the reading with it (no induction loop). When I checked the voltages in the bios each was varying by no more than .03volts over a 10 minute span spent watching the readings.

NVIDIA lists the 177.41 as being the current WHQL certified drivers for the GTX 260/Win XP. I have a Cooler Master 550W power supply coming today for a different build, I'm going to try it to make sure it's not a power problem.

Issue solved for now, turns out my Corsair TX 750W is the problem even tho it is rated for a max draw of 60A on the 12v rail and has no problems running 2x 8800GT in SLI. Time to contact Corsair for an RMA. Thanks to everyone for the help/suggestions.

Derf

Good to hear you found the cause. I've had great luck with Corsair PSUs.
In fact I have a brand new HX 1000w sitting unopened in a box while I decide if I want to build a new setup or not. :)

Back