m0n0wall or pfsense?

pookguy88

Gawd
I've decided i've had enough with my WRT54G (w/ dd-wrt) and I'm going to try this *nix route. I think I've narrowed my choice to one of these two, I know pfsense is based off m0n0wall but it's requirements seem a bit steeper than m0n0wall... what's the main difference between these two? My main goal is just simple firewalling but I want a QoS that actually works, I'll be using a lot of bit torrent and I want it to be throttled when I'm going on the web, etc...

so... which one? thanks

m0n0wall has always been designed to be as compact as possible and have very low hardware requirements. pfsense forked off from m0n0wall and went the bells and whistles direction.

I've been running m0n0wall for a while, but haven't messed with pfsense. I'm active on the m0n0wall mail list and my understanding is that m0n0wall is in general faster and more stable. It's traffic shaper also is more effective than pfsense's implementation.

That's my best info. Anybody else with experience and feedback please chime in.

m0n0wall's Traffic Shaper setup page has a "Magic Shaper Wizard" that sets up a bunch of rules for you auto-magically. It also has a check box for "Set P2P traffic to lowest priority". It does work because browsing is still fine when my daughter runs her torrent stuff (for WOW she tells me). :)

I recommend the newest beta 1.3b2

cool.. i think i'll go with m0n0wall as well, i bought a CF card and CF-IDE adapter just for it :)

Back