M$ telling me my copy of Windows 7 is pnt valid- how to rectify this?

peppergomez

2[H]4U
I bought Windows 7 Professional from either M$ or Amazon as a download when it came out, and have the product and serial keys.

My C drive died a month ago (kernel page errors x00000007A BSOD messages and lockups) and I recently got an RMA mobo replacement from ASUS. I rebuilt the system and was unable to install Windows updates and also found that my Internet access was limited/being blocked by Windows.

A Windows pop-up appeared telling me my copy on Windows wasn't valid (it was a legitimate MS window). I am reinstalling Windows 7 from my install disk, and am wondering if MS is going to accept my registry and serial number.

If it doe not, what is the best way to handle this? I have looked through my old email records for a confirmation from MS or Amazon, but haven't found one, only my own screenshot tht I took of the serial and registry keys.

This is pretty annoying, since it would piss me off to have repurchase keys. Is there a way I can contact M$ directly about this issue?

Thanks

Its easy. Just call the 800 number and follow the instructions for phone activation. You should have no issues.

Well, #%&*$#, apparently my key isn't valid for a clean install? How the hell am I supposed to recover from a drive failure?

This is the second drive I have used this key for on a Windows install, the first being one that I worried was dying. My plan is to reformat that one (thus wiping out the Windows install on it) and only have Windows istalled on the one drive I've now just installed it on.

Here's the message I got from M$ when I entered the product key number:

"The following failure occred while trying to use the product key:

Code: 0xC004F061

Descrtiption: The Software Licensin Service determined that ths specified product key can only be used for upgrading, not for clean installations"

Jesus.

If any of you guys can help me sort out this mess, I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks.

Google "windows 7 clean install with upgrade license key"

Thanks

So based on the below step, I'm thinking I need to redo my install from scratch because I did already enter the Windows product key?

1. Do a clean install of Windows and do a keyless installation (I.e.: When it asks you to put in the key, just uncheck the “Validate Windows when I’m online” box and don’t enter the key; click “Next”)

Or can I just pick it up with Step 2:

2. Once you’re at your desktop, run Command Prompt as Administrator (click Start, then type ‘command‘ in the Search box. You should see Command prompt on the list. Right-click it and click “Run as Administrator”. Click “Yes” on the Security Prompt).
3. At the command prompt, type: regedit
4. Once in Registry Editor, navigate to this key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE
In that folder, look for the item MediaBootInstall
5. Double-click it and change the value to 0
6. Close out of Registry Editor. You should still have the Command Prompt open. Now, at the Command Prompt, type the following:
slmgr /rearm
7. It should show something that tells you the command was successful.
8. Restart the computer. Then, go to the Activation screen (Click Start, Right-click Computer then click Properties. Scroll to the bottom and choose “Activate my copy of Windows”)
9. Enter your Upgrade product key and it should activate successfully!

Install Vista or whatever and upgrade from there, key would work then. Is that what you upgraded from before?

Thanks guys. Man, wish M$ was a bit more upfront about this fact about my Win 7 install BEFORE I committed to the full process.

Thanks guys. Man, wish M$ was a bit more upfront about this fact about my Win 7 install BEFORE I committed to the full process.

It should be a given, considering you bought a upgrade key. The nice thing with Windows 7 was the ability to do a clean install with a upgrade key, with a few minor tweaks.

They typically did with Windows 7. Upgrade media was pretty clearly marked, and the "you need to have an OS to upgrade from" wasn't in particularly tiny font. If you got it when it came out, this is going on five years ago so not sure how clearly you remember.

Windows 8 on the other hand.. not so clear.

It seems all upgrades are not equal because I could do clean installs on 3 machines using the family upgrade pack. All of them did have older versions of windows installed but not with the same hardware setup and new harddrives with no trace of previous setups.

I had to reformat this week and MS wouldn't even let me use my Win8 key to upgrade straight to 8.1. I actually had to install 7, upgrade to 8, fully patch 8, then upgrade to 8.1.

I had to reformat this week and MS wouldn't even let me use my Win8 key to upgrade straight to 8.1. I actually had to install 7, upgrade to 8, fully patch 8, then upgrade to 8.1.

Yup I went through the same process. If I have to re install I will probably stick with 7.

Back