M-Audio soundcard for HTPC?

tdx

Limp Gawd
Hey everyone,

I'm about to build an HTPC rig. I was originally going to stick a Creative X-Fi Pro in it, but I recently discovered that there is a whole bunch of M-Audio sound cards that can be used with ProTools (which I work on).

So, I'm thinking about switching from Creative t o an M-Audio card, but I'm not sure if they're good for HTPC use (movies, music, gaming, etc).

Does anyone use one of these in an HTPC config?

From my research and readings, this card seem to be the single best card to get for HTPC... http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_in...on-71-dts-connect-bgihdaxpd/cName/sound-cards

If that is too expensive, this card seems to be the second best, missing only one significant feature...
http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_in...ue-71-gold-retail-bgihdaxmg/cName/sound-cards

To answer your question... No, I don't use any of those. I still have my first crappy baby HTPC that I have been using. I just use the integrated optical spdif port to go to my (dad's) receiver. I'm still planning my ultimate HTPC.

Thanks for the response, Keetha. The problem with these cards is that they do no run Protools. Only the M-Audio cards do, which is why I'm looking into them.

But I don't want to buy a sound card just for work. If possible, I wna to make sure I can use it for movies, gaming and the rest.

tdx said:
Thanks for the response, Keetha. The problem with these cards is that they do no run Protools. Only the M-Audio cards do, which is why I'm looking into them.

But I don't want to buy a sound card just for work. If possible, I wna to make sure I can use it for movies, gaming and the rest.

I have an M-Audio Revolution 7.1 in my HTPC. It's powerful enough to run Cubase SX 2 with no issues on my HTPC. It has a very low latency with the ASIO drivers. Don't use Pro Tools so I can't comment on PT performance. But if it can run CubaseSX with tons of VSTs it should be powerful enough to run PT I'm guessing. I know of people that use the M-Audio Audiophile too for both HTPC and Audio rigs.

Back