• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

M-Audio Rev 7.1 and Static

artimasz

Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2002
Messages
702
Howdy All,

I have an annoying problem that crops up every once in a while with the Rev 7.1; I don't know if this is a motherboard or soundcard problem. However, whenever i watch movies or listen to music under normal system load sometimes the audio gets really slow and as it stops a loud noise is generated which almost sounds like a HAM Radio tunining into a channel. This will last a couple mintues. Sometimes the audio will return to normal after all this takes place, sometimes i have to restart the computer, in some cases serveral times.

I'm getting fed up with this, today it seems to happen all the time, and no amount of rebooting helps.

I'm using a M-Audio Rev 7.1 rev.3, and an Abit IC7 Motherboard, also Corsair XMS memory - 4x 256.

Ultimately i'm wondering if replacing the sound card will work, because when this happens no audio is generated at all, the m-audio control panel shows nothing. I just get static.
 
Originally posted by artimasz
Howdy All,

I have an annoying problem that crops up every once in a while with the Rev 7.1; I don't know if this is a motherboard or soundcard problem. However, whenever i watch movies or listen to music under normal system load sometimes the audio gets really slow and as it stops a loud noise is generated which almost sounds like a HAM Radio tunining into a channel. This will last a couple mintues. Sometimes the audio will return to normal after all this takes place, sometimes i have to restart the computer, in some cases serveral times.

I'm getting fed up with this, today it seems to happen all the time, and no amount of rebooting helps.

I'm using a M-Audio Rev 7.1 rev.3, and an Abit IC7 Motherboard, also Corsair XMS memory - 4x 256.

Ultimately i'm wondering if replacing the sound card will work, because when this happens no audio is generated at all, the m-audio control panel shows nothing. I just get static.

I've got the exact same issue. Posted this question a while ago, never really got a good answer.

Me thinks it's a dying card. I'm going to be RMAing mine soon. I've been running my A2 ZS in the mean time. Really missing it for it's DVD/Music playback supremeness.

Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing. The sound starts off kind of low, then kinda "woooshes" up to a high, then kinda goes out with a pop. Then no sound works, and can sometimes cause a system restart.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
Yes,

That is the problem I have been having, although it hasn't gotten teribly bad yet to just up and cause a reboot.

I was thinking of replacing the card with an Audigy 2 ZS and cut my losses.

Does the audigy cause the same problems on your system after you had replaced it?
 
Originally posted by artimasz
Yes,

That is the problem I have been having, although it hasn't gotten teribly bad yet to just up and cause a reboot.

I was thinking of replacing the card with an Audigy 2 ZS and cut my losses.

Does the audigy cause the same problems on your system after you had replaced it?

So far no problems at all with the A2.

With my Revo, it started out happening every once-in-a-while. It became progressivly worse until I couldn't play any audio for more than a minute or two before the card would crap out.

I'm pretty miffed right now because of this. The A2 is a nice card, but I mostly listen to music, watch DVDs. And the revo is an ace card when it comes to those things. Will definatley re-install it once I RMA it and get it back.

Cheers,

Mr. Pain
 
Its a Revo bug lots of posts about it on different forums but it never got fixed . Little trick when it starts to do it , turn on winamp and switch to Asio on the output ,see what happens :)
 
Originally posted by meanmodda[H]
Its a Revo bug lots of posts about it on different forums but it never got fixed . Little trick when it starts to do it , turn on winamp and switch to Asio on the output ,see what happens :)

That's really unfortunate. Great card, but I feel like M-audio just gave the"Pro-sumer" market the big finger.

I've tried a lot of things to get this card back into workin order, but it does it under both Windows and Linux. I wouldn't say it's a bug, more like a hardware defect
 
Back
Top