M-Audio Q40 Headphones

VolvoR

Gawd
Joined
Jan 28, 2004
Messages
878
Has anyone tried these? How are they in comparison to something like the AD-HD700's from Audio Technica?

Thanks!!
 
I bought a pair of Q40's for my wife, which I use once in a while. I can't speak to how they stack up against the AD-HD700's, but they definitely give better isolation, bass response, and slightly "brighter" highs than my Sennheiser HD280 Pro's.

They also seem to be better built than my Senns, as they don't make creaking noises when I turn my head, and no plastic bits have broken off yet (unlike the insside of the headband on my 280s)

They do feel a bit bigger on your head, as the ear cups are circular rather than ovals, I actually feel like they block a tiny bit of my peripheral vision. Not a huge deal when I'm gaming as I get tunnel-vision though.

So far the Q40's are my favourite closed-back headphones I've auditioned. Comparable to my friend's BeyerDynamics, but at half the cost. Go M-Audio!
 
I'm interested in a pair of closed headphones to compliment my DT990pro and I was considering these headphones but I read of some people complaining about loss of sound in one ear due to the wire coming loose. Do you know if M-Audio took steps to resolve that issue?
 
I'm interested in a pair of closed headphones to compliment my DT990pro and I was considering these headphones but I read of some people complaining about loss of sound in one ear due to the wire coming loose. Do you know if M-Audio took steps to resolve that issue?

Interesting.. I haven't heard of this issue. The cable is detachable from the earcup, the 1/8" cord screws into the earcup like you would a 1/4" adapter. It feels pretty solid to me but I suppose if you pulled hard enough you could break the connections inside.

I dunno. I'm pretty nice to my gear. Others may not be.
 
Not the cord but the wire going between the two ear cups. That wire is exposed on the Q40 and I saw some reports of it coming loose.
 
I could see the wires getting caught on something maybe. If you don't adjust the headband much, you could electrical tape them down so they don't stick out as much.

I honestly don't think I'll ever have a problem though. My wife keeps them in the soft leather bag that they came in and only pulls them out to watch movies on her laptop or listen to her Zune while she works.
 
Back
Top