• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

M-Audio BX5a or Audioengine A5?

Mr. B

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 23, 2008
Messages
327
I'm about to upgrade the audio setup for my computer. I've considered getting an amp/passive speakers but I've decided to spend less for now. I'll spend about $250-300 on some active speakers now, get a USB DAC, headphone amp in the near future and perhaps later sell the active speakers for something more elaborate.

Anyway I've narrowed it down to either the the Audioengine A5, which are apparently very well regarded, or the M-Audio BX5a Deluxe. The A5's would be slightly easier to deal with (one power port, two typical 3.5mm inputs) but I wouldn't put these "advantages" above overall sound quality.

They will be used on a desk, mostly for music (most not bass intensive) and some gaming.
 
Haven't heard BX5a. A5s are nice. Don't think it's worth $300 over passives though.
 
The manufacturer currently has a deal on the A5 (coupon code MW09) for $261.75.
 
I don't know...but then again I'm deep enough in audio gear that $40 +/- on a $300 ticket is kinda meh if there's a quality difference. I'd be tempted to get a solid amp + decent speakers, especially since you're thinking about going that way in time anyway. Cheaper in the long run.
 
Personaly, I would get a nice set of headphones, OR put up some acoustic treatment in your room.


You would be shocked at how far even $100 can go in terms of putting up some acoustic treatment, and how much better everything will sound.


That's just me.

It completely change my home theater and music-listening experiences.
 
Back
Top