• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

m audio av40 too bassy?

Joined
Mar 6, 2003
Messages
737
I have a pair of av40s connected to my auzentech home theater HD soundcard.

I played some music/movies and found the bass was drowning out the mid-tones. I thought these were studio monitors and didn't need any tweaking.

I had to turn the bass down in Windows. Is that normal?
 
What was the source material? Movies? Music?--what kind?

It could be proximity to a boundary location or your room.

Finally, maybe you are just used to better speakers and the midrange is AV40s is just not very good in comparison?
 
Want to sell them? I'm looking for a good deal on them now in the For Sale forums, haha.
 
$116 on Provantage, seems a pretty good price for a pair of small monitors. A t-amp and say a pair of NSB-2111s or equivalents would probably be better sounding for a similar price, although the size is larger and probably not as desk friendly.
 
The M-Audio AV30 and 40 are not too bassy,they are very sensitive to boundary placement. As they are tuned high they will sound very boomy when placed close to walls.

Having a console or elevating/angling the speakers will help alot. For best results I use Auralex MoPad dense foam decouplers,even on my desk where I have a console like monitor shelf.

Take for example very neutral Genelec or Focal studio monitors,these fair much better in far less optimal locations.

Any studio monitor or speaker has to be placed properly and the space/acoustics taken into account.

Very average monitors will sound better than expensive monitors slapped in corners in a very live room.
 
Back
Top