M-Audio AV40 $99 Refurb Buy.com

how good are these?

They sound really good for their price. Only problem i have had is that microphone output on the left speaker is loose and wont work anymore. After 2 years of heavy use.

I have a set of these as well. I highly recommend them audio quality wise for the price. I also like that they aren't huge hulking beasts and I like that they do not have a subwoofer (us apartment users need to find a balance between good audio quality and volume vs. annoying booming to neighbors etc.).

not that good if being used as true studio monitors, but as computer speakers WAY more than enough

i have them as well and play my sonos ZP90 through them, amazing

I wonder if i can get these with a sub hooked up and bass boost off, and power a 20-30 person house party with it...

The AV40's are great for computer speakers. I have a pair and bought another pair as a gift a year ago!

I wonder if i can get these with a sub hooked up and bass boost off, and power a 20-30 person house party with it...

Probably. It doesn't take a lot of speaker to hear over 20 or 30 people. I'd personally get something a bit bigger with a 6.5" woofer if I was going to use it for parties though.

Take anything I say with a grain of salt. I have 2 8" woofers and a 5.25" for mids on each of my mains and this thing only has 4" for woofers. My surrounds and surround rears have 2 5.25" drivers each and my center has dual 6.5"s. So uh...as I write this I'm sitting here listening to 7 channels...and uh 16 drivers 5.25" or larger...I could be biased.

I don't know much about M-Audio although I've heard decent things.

You should get large floorstanding speakers and good amplifier.

I recommend Cerwin Vega speakers in this usage scenario.

They sound really good for their price. Only problem i have had is that microphone output on the left speaker is loose and wont work anymore. After 2 years of heavy use.

I have these speakers as well. I really like them, but I have the exact same issue.

how would these compare against the logitech z2300 thx speakers that i'm currently using?

also, i'm somewhat new to non pc only multimedia speakers, how do these speakers hook up to a pc?

how would these compare against the logitech z2300 thx speakers that i'm currently using?

also, i'm somewhat new to non pc only multimedia speakers, how do these speakers hook up to a pc?

Personally I'd save your money. While I'm not a big fan of the Logitech speakers you have, I think you should save your money for a set of bookshelf speakers, a subwoofer, and a receiver.

Personally I'd save your money. While I'm not a big fan of the Logitech speakers you have, I think you should save your money for a set of bookshelf speakers, a subwoofer, and a receiver.

well i personally do a lot of my listening and computing through a pair of AT adh700's (will probably get a better set of cans in the near future) and an e7/e9 combo. but i would be willing to upgrade to these if they'd be a decent upgrade to my z2300's for the fewer amount of time that i use speakers (when watching a movie with someone else or generally anything where more than one person is engaged to anything on the screen in general)

basically, not looking for any huge upgrade to desktop speakers in the near future but a decent upgrade (especially for a price like this) would be welcome.

I replaced a set of Klipsch Promedia 2.1's, and the M-audios simply blew them away. Far better clarity and soundstage. If you are a bass-freak, however, they will not be your cup of tea. 4" mid-woofer can only do so much.
But beware, there is a reason there are a lot of refurbs out there, they have had some amp problems with these. Read the Amazon reviews.

hmm didnt catch that these were refurbs. amazon has this same set new for 122... wonder if its worth it.

well i personally do a lot of my listening and computing through a pair of AT adh700's (will probably get a better set of cans in the near future) and an e7/e9 combo. but i would be willing to upgrade to these if they'd be a decent upgrade to my z2300's for the fewer amount of time that i use speakers (when watching a movie with someone else or generally anything where more than one person is engaged to anything on the screen in general)

basically, not looking for any huge upgrade to desktop speakers in the near future but a decent upgrade (especially for a price like this) would be welcome.

I understand. But I still think you should explore the bookshelf speaker + receiver combination. A used receiver can be had for under $50 and decent bookshelf speakers for around $50-75 used. Not much more than the AV40's new or used.

I understand. But I still think you should explore the bookshelf speaker + receiver combination. A used receiver can be had for under $50 and decent bookshelf speakers for around $50-75 used. Not much more than the AV40's new or used.

hmm, ok i shall do a bit of looking around, thanks for the suggestion. do you know of any links or guide/faqs for someone, like i said, is new to the non computer specific audio scene?

Just ask questions in the computer audio section of hardforum. We'll be glad to help.

But really though, there isn't much to learn. Theres an inexpensive converter for everything, and audio stuff is generally compatible with each other.

cool. i already frequent the audio section pretty often, i just don't post much. thanks

how good are these?

"not too good" as a professional studio monitor but definitely one of the best as computer speakers for the price (paid $115 brand new 4 months ago). The 2.0 compact size with no bucky subwoffer box (integrated) looks nice, solid construction made by real wood.

I have 2 sets, very very happy.

The AV40s truly rock for computer speakers when I put together my friend's rig. I would probably sport a pair if I didn't pick up a sweet old yamaha bookshelf speaker set from a garage sale for $30.

Back