M.2 slot

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by fightingfi, Dec 23, 2016.

1. fightingfi

fightingfi [H]ard|Gawd

2. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

The difference is how the PCIe lanes are shared among PCIe connectors. The only case where that would probably matter and even then not much is with multiple GPUs. The motherboard manual should lay out how all of the PCIe lanes area allocated between the connectors.

3. ChoGGi

ChoGGi Gawd

Just check if it's detected in the bios. You may need to fiddle with CSM Support / Storage Boot Option Control.
    Win 8/10 have support for NVme drives, for Win7 you'll need to load the drivers from a disk before it'll detect the drive.

4. fightingfi

fightingfi [H]ard|Gawd

So what slot do i put the m.2 drive into..........one near my video card, or the one near my cpu........

5. fightingfi

fightingfi [H]ard|Gawd

its win 10 pro 64 bit

6. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

It shouldn't matter. The issue is how the PCIe lanes are shared.

7. German Muscle

German Muscle [H]ardness Supreme

It does not matter.

I cant wait for 2 of these on X299 chipsets. A pair of these in Raid will be pretty fast!

8. bonehead123

bonehead123 Gawd

The only other consideration on this is which SATA connectors get disabled....

not really an issue unless you plan to use every one of them for other devices, because you will lose 2 SATA connections for each m2 slot you utilize...

I use both m2 slots but don't care since I only use 3 of my 6 SATA connectors anyways :)

9. revenant

revenant [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, one of those m.2 probably shares resources with the sata devices. One slot shouldn't do much (maybe eat into some pci-e lanes for one of the last slots) and the other will negate a bunch of sata ports. So just be mindful of that.

By using the top m.2 port on my MSI M7 for an nvme drive and the bottom m.2 port for a sata based drive I was able to keep 4 of my sata ports alive, all of which I used.

10. LigTasm

LigTasm 2[H]4U

If its the same as my Gigabyte board, the one by the GPU (slot A) does not disable any SATA ports, but the one down lower disables 2 of them.