m.2 NVMe not recognized

redbroyer

n00b
so i decided to upgrade and add an m.2 drive to my system. install was simple, but upon bootup, Win7 recognized a new device and failed at installing the driver. my system is as such:

Asus Z170-E
i5-6600k (not overclocked)
16GB (2x8GB) 19200
Radeon RX480 4GB
SSD
1TB spinny
m.2 2280 NVMe - inland professional 512GB (this is the culprit)

OS - Win 7 Pro SP1 (fully updated)
most current BIOS (v3801 released 03/14/2018)

after installing the drive and rebooting, in device manager there is a "PCI Device" under "Other devices" that popped up and is having a driver issue. i have searched Asus' site for any type of PCI or PCI-e driver update. i have searched for a Win7 driver update. i have used automated and manual searches and nothing. i have searched for a manufacturer driver from inland and i cannot seem to find their company's site. does anybody have experience with this piece of hardware interfacing with either Win7 or the Asus Z170-E?

sorry for not clarifying. no. my Samsung 850 250GB SSD is my boot drive. just adding NVMe for space and not for boot.

The brand is not the manufacturer, it seems to be micro centers in house brand, they just buy an existing SSD's and put their stickers on it, if you can find out the actual manufacturer they might have some drivers that work.

Win 10 has native NVMe drivers but Win 7 requires adding drivers.
As Denpepe said, you will need manufactures drivers for Win 7 to recognize the drive!

Win7 had NVMe drivers added later in its life cycle and are most likely not on your installation media. Here is a link to what you need to do to create a supported installation media set with the requisite drivers installed.

so, am i understanding correctly in that this builds new Win7 install media with NVMe support?

Back