M.2 Adapter card

Discussion in 'SSDs & Data Storage' started by Redmud, May 14, 2019.

1. Redmud

Redmud [H]Lite

Hello,

I have a fairly old motherboard, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 and would like to put in an M.2 drive while the board does have an M.2 slot it is an older interface. I was thinking of possibly getting a PCIe adapter card and stick that in.

Currently I have an SSD for the boot drive an a HDD for my data (all game data). Would this be a viable short term? I plan to get a new system Q1 of next year so the m.2 drive would move over there. My concern is I do not want to impact the Video card so I am not clear on if sticking another card in a PCIe slot would be bad. The thing here is I have money to burn now that I may not have later.

Thanks

2. dexvx

dexvx [H]ard|Gawd

Hardly think you're going to notice a difference between 10Gbps M.2 and 20 Gbps M.2 in real world.

drescherjm and Spartacus09 like this.
  3. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

I added a samsung M.2 to my old x79 platform, it's really fast with a 2080ti, only issue I had was I had to patch the BIOS to be able to boot from it.

4. Thevoid230

Thevoid230 n00b

Just put the m.2 in the mobo slot unless you are using the bottom sata ports. As devex said, you are unlikely to notice a difference unless you need more than 800MB/s. However, your board does support running x8 x4 x4, so you could run 2 drives in adaptors off the cpu pcie if you really wanted

5. the snake

the snake [H]ard|Gawd

what mobo was that ?

6. mikeo

mikeo Limp Gawd

Asus x79 sabertooth, 3930k. Plan on getting a 16 or 32 core amd next depending on what happens with ryzen 9 or the next threadripper.

the snake likes this.
  7. ND40oz

ND40oz [H]ardForum Junkie

8. Aluminum

Aluminum Gawd

FWIW the bios 'hack' isn't hard, and isn't an actual hack but really a workaround to put in normal UEFI functions in because vendors abandon stuff so damn fast.

I mean if you're going to point at a $400 card just to boot from it, would make far more sense to just upgrade the platform.

Even 4x4 bifurcation cards are around $50 and work in good modern boards with superior software defined storage, the old RAID vendors are stuck in the past.

mikeo likes this.