Wolvenmoon
Weaksauce
- Joined
- Apr 6, 2009
- Messages
- 67
Hello all,
Microsoft is systematically eradicating third party clients from the Skype network. This is fine for the majority of users. I need something a bit more agile than the default, generic Skype client.
Considering the number of contacts I have that use Skype, I can't just up and leave. I'm in between a rock and a hard place.
I've considered using my access to academic MSDN licenses to grab a few copies of Server 2012 R2 Enterprise and Microsoft Lync 2013 to run in virtual machines with one of my vanity domain names, but I'm concerned about licensing legalities. Can any of you help me clear that up?
I'm looking at http://products.office.com/en-us/Lync/meeting-software-compare-lync-plans this, and if it's possible to get a Lync account set up for $2/month, I think I'd get more use out of it than most subscription services and getting away from the Skype client would be absolutely worth it.
However, I'd like to know if it's as simple as it looks. Have any of you explored using Lync as a way to get third party clients access to the Skype network?
Thanks!
Microsoft is systematically eradicating third party clients from the Skype network. This is fine for the majority of users. I need something a bit more agile than the default, generic Skype client.
Considering the number of contacts I have that use Skype, I can't just up and leave. I'm in between a rock and a hard place.
I've considered using my access to academic MSDN licenses to grab a few copies of Server 2012 R2 Enterprise and Microsoft Lync 2013 to run in virtual machines with one of my vanity domain names, but I'm concerned about licensing legalities. Can any of you help me clear that up?
I'm looking at http://products.office.com/en-us/Lync/meeting-software-compare-lync-plans this, and if it's possible to get a Lync account set up for $2/month, I think I'd get more use out of it than most subscription services and getting away from the Skype client would be absolutely worth it.
However, I'd like to know if it's as simple as it looks. Have any of you explored using Lync as a way to get third party clients access to the Skype network?
Thanks!