Lyft's “Taco Mode” Brings Riders to Closest Taco Bell

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
In a weird cross-marketing campaign, Lyft has teamed up with Taco Bell for “Taco Mode,” which allows riders to add on a Taco Bell side trip during their ride with a single tap. Late-night runs to the restaurant are allegedly a common practice for Lyft customers, and Taco Mode will make this much easier: riders will be treated to a custom in-car menu, free Doritos Locos tacos, and what the company calls a "taco-themed car." I am sure this will be a lot of fun for the drivers.

Taco Mode is an in-app option for Lyft riders, providing passengers with the ultimate Taco Bell experience — including a free Doritos Locos Taco when you ride-thru Taco Bell on the way to your next destination. Taco Mode will be available — first as a limited release— in Orange County, California, July 27-30, and August 3-6, 2017, between the hours of 9 PM and 2 AM . Taco Mode will then expand into additional markets by year’s end, with a nationwide rollout in 2018.

Great just what you want to do is have some complete stranger making a late night taco run because they have a case of the munchies and you know they're going to start eating in your car.

But who knows, people are apparently fine for letting perfect strangers into their relatively clean newish cars so what the hell do I even know anymore.

I have my own car, so I never have used Uber or Lyft, but this is an interesting marketing tie in from a business POV. I wonder if any of the other late night eatery businesses will do something similar.

If the ride costs more than the food = not worth the trip, or the food for that matter. :D

Living here in Texas I have observed something. Black people will go Taco Bell all day long. But go to something like Abeulo's, Rosa's, Chuey's or Torchy's, and I rarely see any black people. God bless Taco Bell for bringing us together as common friends, but why do black people seem to not care for Mexican food like white folk do? Would love some insight. Mexican food is a beautiful thing in my opinion.

great, now drivers not only have to endure the drunks and the smells, but now get to enjoy taco vomit as well. Cant wait for those muggy nights! Even better if left for a day or two in the hot car, all baked in and yummy for the next go 'round.

I will admit to liking the Dorito Nacho Cheese Loco Taco things. But their meat is borderline at best. I wish I could buy those shells and make my own (El Paso makes "cheese taco shells" but they are a lame impersonation).

Living here in Texas I have observed something. Black people will go Taco Bell all day long. But go to something like Abeulo's, Rosa's, Chuey's or Torchy's, and I rarely see any black people. God bless Taco Bell for bringing us together as common friends, but why do black people seem to not care for Mexican food like white folk do? Would love some insight. Mexican food is a beautiful thing in my opinion.

Because it's cheap? But yeah Torchy's beats the hell out of Taco bell and it's not very expensive. Their queso lights me the f*ck up tho, but I love it (initially)

If they would have my order ready and the side trip was free (within reason), I'd bite.

Isn't Mexican bland compared to US "Mexican" fast food which is covered in hot sause and various peppers? I think that's the issue. It's a let down wrt to that immediate flavor hit that is expected.

Back in my youth... when I could eat anything and damned the consequences, I used to love those tacos from Jack in the Box. A corn tortilla with a slab of gunk in the middle, some American cheese & lettuce, then fold that over and deep fry that in the same vats they do their french fries in... damn that was good stuff :D

i enjoy their simple menu items.. a couple bean burritos and crunchy taco supremes. ahh tasty

and yes.. you gotta pour on the hot sauce

It's because we prefer to just eat fried chicken for every meal.

It's because we prefer to just eat fried chicken for every meal.

Taco Bell will still accommodate you! That's why they are best and eventually ALL restaurants will be Taco Bell's

960.jpg

Why don't you just be honest with your marketing?

Stoner mode.

Taco mode....followed by Colon Blow mode.

To be fair, I ate ALOT of Taco Bell back in high school. I just can't stomach it now.

Back