Lust for the old

I'm rocking a couple ASUS P2B 440BX builds. Gotta keep my DOS/Win98 stuff alive.

440bx...had/have quite a few...best overclocking chipset of it's era...single-handedly jump started the [H] overclocking world that we luv today...of course that's my opinion

I have an old Gateway FX530 with a Q6600 in it that I have started working on. Motherboard is just odd, it uses a Gateway D975XBG Big Arm Motherboard which seems to be reversed so if you mounted in a normal ATX case it would have the PCIE slots at the top and mem at the bottom.

It has 2 1GB sticks in it so I'd have to get 2 more just to see if it would run anything in win 10. The thing that is causing an issue is almost no video card fits in it. It need single slot card as anything else hits the caps near the cpu socket.

I recently did a big purge of all old computer equipment. Basically if it's not 64bit and/or single-threaded, it got thrown out or sold. I had tons of S775, S478, S370, Slot 1 stuff just collecting dust. I had thrown out 486/386 hardware years ago anyway.

My two favorite generations of hardware are the 440BX and i875.

I had a Slot 1 440BX modded to take Tualatin Pentium 3 1.4Ghz, overclocked to just under 1.7Ghz. My fastest i875 system used a Northwood Pentium 4 2.4C (M0 stepping) running at 3.6Ghz. No longer in to the overclocked scene. :(

While I do have an appreciation for the 300a, I even fondly remember the two 366's in a BP6 board that oc'd well, but my fondest time was slot A. In fact, during some transitional moving recently, I found my golden fingers that took my slot A 650 to 1 GHz.

I owned a BP6 and dual 333As. They ran at 500mhz, but not really stably dual under NT4.

As a gamer, this build was completely pointless as 98 didn't support dual processors and there were no drivers for my sound and video cards that supported SMP on NT.

Having said this, I loved it. *tear.

I had a dual Slot 1 Katmai Pentium 3 for a while. Was surprisingly good at gaming with a decent video card at the time.

Back