Luquid cooling just the GPU in a SilverStone SG03?

Synomenon

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for components to liquid cool my 8800GT. Everything needs to be able to fit in the SG03 though. I'm only using one hard drive so I have one of the hard drive locations open for whatever components I would need. I will be using a Koolance VID-278 water block for the 8800GT.

Anyone have any ideas, recommendations, tips? Thanks.

This is how I have mine setup. The rear hard drive bay is unused:

23.JPG

Buy a thin radiator, mcr220 or gt stealth 240. I've seen another watercooled sg03 around but I can't find a link to it right now. Go with a t-line over a res. Any reason you're using a koolance block instead of an EK?

What brands are the MCR220 and GT Stealth 240? Only reason I listed the Koolance block was that It's the only one I've seen. Is Koolance a bad brand?

Also, I've seen EK blocks before and just don't like how they all look like fish.

There is no reason to buy Koolance stuff. Period. It's expensive for what you get, quite restrictive, and continually about 5-10 degrees warmer than the EK 8800 blocks.

Swiftech makes the MCR series radiator.
HW Labs makes the Black Ice Pro series radiator.

Either would be sufficient.

get an ek block they truly are a work of art in my eyes not a water block(not till tuesday)

Easy and cheap way that works great:

Swiftech MCW60 GPU block with ramsinks
Swiftech MCR120 radiator
Swiftech MCP350/355
Swiftech Micro Res

More than enough cooling power to keep the 8800GT nice and cool.

Plus it will only use 3/8" tubing which is also more than large enough to cool the card and yet easy to run the tubl\ing in a small case.

An accelero or the thermalright cooler might work better in such a small case.

Maybe, but I really didn't want to take up another slot on my mobo just for a GPU cooler and I want good cooling, not mediocre like the stock cooler.

Maybe, but I really didn't want to take up another slot on my mobo just for a GPU cooler and I want good cooling, not mediocre like the stock cooler.
Im sorry but that is the most ridiculos statement i have heard all day. You want to install watercooling becuase you dont want to take up another slot? Damm you could install a AC-1 for under $20...

Why is it "ridiculous"? I have a mATX board with only 3 expansion slots (not including the GPU slot). I use all three of the slots. Plus, I may want to include my CPU in the liquid cooling setup in the future.

You may not have this problem with your massive ATX board.

Why is it "ridiculous"? I have a mATX board with only 3 expansion slots (not including the GPU slot). I use all three of the slots. Plus, I may want to include my CPU in the liquid cooling setup in the future.

You may not have this problem with your massive ATX board.

If you read my sig i have a matx board with a full size 120mm hsf with 2 expansion slots. surley you can sacrifice one card to avoid buying water cooling just for the gpu?

It should. Any 120.1 radiator should fit nicely in place of the 120mm fans in the front of the SG03. Not sure if any 120.2 radiators would fit there though.

You can fit a mcr220 in the front and a 2900xt if you're willing to do a bit of cutting. Sniipe_Dogg did it here

Impressive. I wish he put up more detailed pictures of what he did to fit that radiator up front.

A single 120 is all that you'd ever need to cool a 8800GT, even OC'd to the max and your load temps should be in the low to mid 30c range depending on your room temp. That's all I'm using to cool my 8800GT...............:D

The radiator:
dsc00029pp3.jpg

The pump (MCP350 on the left).
dsc00028fm0.jpg

The card:
installed4cz7.jpg

I'm looking at the Swiftech MCR-120 radiator / reservoir combo. What's round-ish cylinder thing next to the MCP350? Also, with your 8800GT liquid cooled, does it take up only one slot?

I'm looking at the Swiftech MCR-120 radiator / reservoir combo. What's round-ish cylinder thing next to the MCP350? Also, with your 8800GT liquid cooled, does it take up only one slot?

The round cylinder thing next to the pump is another pump. It's a Swiftech MCP655.

The MCW60 he's using takes up another slot.

Are there any 8800GT waterblocks that don't take up another slot (just like the stock 8800GT cooler)?

I wonder if EK's is single slot.

Technically no in the current form but if you use a acetal top and countersunk the holes then used flat heat screws, it will be a true single-slot solution. The only thing interfering is the bolts of the top but beside countersinking them, using electrical tape will also work as well.

Back