Luke-Warm? Microcenter - Samsung Spinpoint F3EG 2TB - $99 (+ local tax) [B&M Only]

CHUFLY29

Weaksauce
Micro Center has the Samsung Spinpoint F3EG 2TB 5400 RPM OEM for $99 + tax (came out to $107.26 for me in MN)

I have a F2 1.5TB Spinpoint and love it.

Link

I think this is a good deal. Nice to see another brand other than Seagate and Hitachi hit below the $100 mark. Now it's up to WD :)

Nice quiet drives that are great for WHS. Low power consumption as well.

Wow awesome I waited, I was just about to buy a 2tb samsung for $140 on the egg.

EDIT:

DOH!
I didnt see the B&M

Last edited:
^^ nice and free shipping so that basically makes it the same price as microcenter after tax plus you dont have to spend time and gas driving. :D

I've only had one real experience with Samsung's spinpoint series. I've used two of them for about three years or so, up until recently for motherboard reviews where we test RAID and SATA performance. Great performance, quiet, and they were reliable. One started flaking out on me but only after years of abuse beyond the norm of what drives go through.

Seems like a good deal, but is the difference between 5400RPM and 7200 RPM very noticeable on drives on this capacity? How much more time would I be looking at on average for transferring/viewing files, or would this be unnoticeable to the average user?

Seems like a good deal, but is the difference between 5400RPM and 7200 RPM very noticeable on drives on this capacity? How much more time would I be looking at on average for transferring/viewing files, or would this be unnoticeable to the average user?

Don't worry, your l00b won't dry out while browsing pr0n on a 5400rpm drive.

For storage drive it's good but for OS drive you probably want something a bit faster.

small ssd for OS, a couple of these in raid 0 for storage seems like a perfect balance to me.

I personally order two hd online on Tuesday, they i see this yesterday. :( i was sadden.
If this deal is still going on this weekend. I plan to pick up two more.

I also currently have two in my Home Server, and Love them. These are very comparable to WD Drives, and currently the Majority of my HD drives are now Samsung or with a few WD

Noticing that this deal was still going on, I have to ask: would a pair of these be fine in your average standalone NAS boxen?

Back