~Luke Warm Deal~ GTX 480 $229 from Amazon

If you just want performance I agree its a good card. Pretty much GTX 570 performance from what I remember. Its hot though. Really hot. If you want a cool PC look elsewhere.

Not bad. I'd be fine running one of these, but if you wanted SLI later it would take a monster PSU...

I do SLI 480 just fine on my sig rig and they're both OC'd fairly heavily as well. No problems. Except that the microstutter and general incompatibility of SLI for many of the games I play makes me think the energy expenditure isn't worth it. That's why I'm testing it. And it's failing.

Yeah it does run a little hot, and it is loud at 100% fan power.

I have mine OC'ed to 800mhz on stock power. Turns through the games I play like butter on max settings on a single 20".

I found the key with this card is a custom fan profile. Stays under 80C and never hits 100% fan speed. Can't hear the gpu fan over my 5 other case fans.

I do SLI 480 just fine on my sig rig and they're both OC'd fairly heavily as well. No problems. Except that the microstutter and general incompatibility of SLI for many of the games I play makes me think the energy expenditure isn't worth it. That's why I'm testing it. And it's failing.

Didn't you throw a fit and put me on ignore not even a month ago because I said that there are some games that benefit from more than a single GTX480 at your resolution? :rolleyes:

The gtx 560 448 that was on Amazon on Saturday for $190 after rebate makes this deal look pretty bad. Similar performance with less heat, noise and power consumption for less although the 480 does have more vram.

If you just want performance I agree its a good card. Pretty much GTX 570 performance from what I remember. Its hot though. Really hot. If you want a cool PC look elsewhere.
Trades blows with the 570, does better mostly at higher res. And they arent that hot or loud. I remember 8800GTXs being in the 90s-100s under load in some cases. My 480 with a custom fan profile hasnt touched 80C yet, and isnt too loud at all.
Not bad. I'd be fine running one of these, but if you wanted SLI later it would take a monster PSU...

Good brand 750W PSU is plenty for SLI.

Going to be putting both of mine under water in the next couple days.

The gtx 560 448 that was on Amazon on Saturday for $190 after rebate makes this deal look pretty bad. Similar performance with less heat, noise and power consumption for less although the 480 does have more vram.

Wish I could have caught that! When i bought my 480 the 560ti 448 was $35 more...

used is the way to go especially with transfer of warranties.

my 480s outlasted all previous cards I've had. They'd still be in my machine if not for some features 680 exclusive.

I would probably jump on that, but looks like I would need to buy an $80 adapter to get the Apple Cinema Display connected...

I paid $209 for 3 of these about 3 weeks back at newegg. Even $229 is a great deal!
!

Back