• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lucid Virtu setup ????

spawn1980

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 15, 2009
Messages
91
I just got a z68-v pro and i'm trying to understand the Lucid Virtu setup. I have it installed and the bios is set pcie-pci I assume that puts it in mode d for my discrete card.

How does it switch from onboard to discrete ?
Is it best to set it up in igpu mode i or mode d?

If i'm playing metro 2033 and Virtu is set to igpu mode i will it change automatcally to my discrete card through some kind of pass through?

damn im confused lol
 
The way Lucid Virtu works, is that you connect your monitor to the video outputs on the motherboard. At idle, it would use the onboard. When an application demands 3D mode, it switches to the discrete cards. What happens here is that instead of sending the video out through the outputs on the graphics card, it sends it back to the system memory, which the iGPU then outputs. So, you need to have onboard graphics enabled as your primary.

Honestly, I wouldn't really bother with Lucid Virtu. Driver support is buggy, and incomplete.
 
The way Lucid Virtu works, is that you connect your monitor to the video outputs on the motherboard. At idle, it would use the onboard. When an application demands 3D mode, it switches to the discrete cards. What happens here is that instead of sending the video out through the outputs on the graphics card, it sends it back to the system memory, .

So it's some kind of passthrough then?

Lets see if I get this right. When 3d or high demand is needed it switches to the graphic card pcie port I think, then after I finish playing the game or whatever it switches back to onboard. Is this right?
 
Set the BIOS to PCIE and have iGP as always enabled.
Mode i you connect the monitor to the motherboard output and your discrete card will supposedly power down to idle when you are not in games and such. iGP will be used for video encoding etc and will be faster than discrete.
Mode d you connect monitor to discrete card and it will still use iGP for video encoding with less of a drop in fps in games.
The last review (I'm sure earlier in the year) that I read, there was not much of a change in power savings with the AMD cards when the card was supposed to be an minimal power so your only gain would be if you encode video, etc.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-gpu.html
 
Set the BIOS to PCIE and have iGP as always enabled.
Mode i you connect the monitor to the motherboard output and your discrete card will supposedly power down to idle when you are not in games and such. iGP will be used for video encoding etc and will be faster than discrete.
Mode d you connect monitor to discrete card and it will still use iGP for video encoding with less of a drop in fps in games.
The last review (I'm sure earlier in the year) that I read, there was not much of a change in power savings with the AMD cards when the card was supposed to be an minimal power so your only gain would be if you encode video, etc.

http://www.lucidlogix.com/product-virtu-gpu.html

I do allot of encoding. So what program should I use for my encoding or can I use my normal programs (tmpgenc, dvdfab, etc)?

And do you think it's best to have it setup in mode i or d?
 
I do allot of encoding. So what program should I use for my encoding or can I use my normal programs (tmpgenc, dvdfab, etc)?

And do you think it's best to have it setup in mode i or d?

It depends a lot on the quality of your encoding. Do you want high quality encoding? Then Quick-sync iGPU encoding is not for you; stick with regular CPU encoding. If you want encoding done fast, then Quick-sync would work for you.

I'm not sure what programs would work, but I'm sure a google search of quick-sync encoding should turn up a few results.

Use d mode. i mode barely nets you any power savings, unless you're using 79xx cards, which would allow them to take advantage of their Zero-core technology. d mode does not have the driver issues I mentioned, while i mode does.
 
I tried to get it setup properly and never could. I just said F it and hooked up my GTX 580 cuz, there is some performance loss as well in the review I read
 
Back
Top