Lucasfilm Sues Operator Of New York Jedi And Lightsaber Academy

HardOCP News

[H] News
You know what would be a solid business plan? Let's use trademarks without permission from one of the most recognizable franchises in history and then refuse to respond to repeated cease and desist orders. :rolleyes:

The lawsuit alleges that both of the trademark applications mentioned above were filed after the Disney-owned company served the defendants with a request to stop using the trademarked terms. The lawsuit accuses the defendants of trademark infringement, dilution, unfair competition, and cybersquatting. Lucasfilm is seeking an injunction stopping the defendants from using these marks, along with orders to destroy all infringing materials, transfer the allegedly offending URLs to Lucasfilm, and withdraw all related trademark applications.

I'm actually kinda interested in how this turns out with the still growing Jedi Faith, there actually could be some grounds for the defendants. Though I doubt the defendants will have the forethought to go down that road. . .

You know what would be a solid business plan? Let's use trademarks without permission from one of the most recognizable franchises in history and then refuse to respond to repeated cease and desist orders. :rolleyes:

The lawsuit alleges that both of the trademark applications mentioned above were filed after the Disney-owned company served the defendants with a request to stop using the trademarked terms. The lawsuit accuses the defendants of trademark infringement, dilution, unfair competition, and cybersquatting. Lucasfilm is seeking an injunction stopping the defendants from using these marks, along with orders to destroy all infringing materials, transfer the allegedly offending URLs to Lucasfilm, and withdraw all related trademark applications.

Actually Steve, according to the Guardian they did respond with a trademark usage request...which Lucasfilm AKA Disney has (repeatedly) denied.

So they're not entirely stupid deadbeats using other's work...just mostly.

Steve, it's not Lucasfilm that's suing. It's Disney. There's a distinct difference because Disney has had a history of intellectual property suing, so this should be no surprise to anybody. And mark my words, this also happening with Marvel as well.

First, it is kind of silly to be able to trademark such a simple logo, which anyone could whip up in a few minutes, but for them to think they look the same is just lunacy.

Hopefully the judge will toss this out a frivolous.

Trademarks don't require complex logos. And to me they do look somewhat similar. Now as I understand trademarks, you have to specify what business sectors they apply to. I believe it is possible to have for example an Acme company that makes Roadrunner traps with an associated trademark and an Acme company that makes GMO seeds and both can own an Acme trademark since the business sectors are different.

The question might be does Disney offer any kind of real life Light Sabre Training Academy? If they don't and the trademark they have doesn't cover such a business sector, they could well loose. Of course, Disney has a fully activated Legal Battle Station and the defendants are a rag tag band of rebels. Wait, this scenario seems familiar somehow.

Wait, did you said Jedi Faith? is this a real thing now?
church motto should be " These aren't the Idiots you're looking for "

everyone knows
Family_Guy Peter Griffin At His Church Of The Fonz,The Father The Son And The Holy Fonz.gif
is best

As soon as I saw he image, I thought, the left one reminds me of something (and not the jedi emblem, which I don' even recall seeing before). Turns out it's the BSG emblem.

I think Ron needs to sue them too ;)

Forgot about going to church to meet a good woman. Or any woman.

Just slap the word "Stupid" in front of it and all will be good. It worked for Nathan for You.

Lucas Film was very litigious even before Disney bought them. Not only that, these morons tried to get permission and we're rebuffed. They clearly had prior knowledge of their infringement.

These are people trying to take advantage of people who already think of the Star Wars universe as a religion.

Very sneaky.

Lucas Film was very litigious even before Disney bought them. Not only that, these morons tried to get permission and we're rebuffed. They clearly had prior knowledge of their infringement.

but trademarks are bullshit and everything should be free and belong to the people. Companies are just fucking greedy bastards and they rape your dreams and childhood for every cent they can.

Logo or not, basically this is a business trying to profit from association of a property owned by Disney. Disney has every right to sue them to cease their business operations until they distance themselves far enough from infringement violations.

The Jedi religion doesn't have anything to fear unless they also try to profit off of Star Wars.

I hope they can work out a compromise - otherwise the only winners will be the lawyers. :depressed:

I actually don't think this is going to go Disney's way. The Star Wars universe existed before the buyout. It's things like these academy's or what have you that helped grow the fan base over many years. Somehow attacking your fans after a buyout doesn't seem like a smart move for Disney. I'm no lawyer, but this is pretty shitty of Disney in my opinion, the trademark to me doesn't even look like the trademark was ripped off. I've got no stake in this, but as a long time fan of Star Wars this looks to be the start of a lot of a Death March from Disney towards it's fan base. I hope Disney doesn't try and sue me for using "Death March" in my comment...

I actually don't think this is going to go Disney's way. The Star Wars universe existed before the buyout. It's things like these academy's or what have you that helped grow the fan base over many years. Somehow attacking your fans after a buyout doesn't seem like a smart move for Disney. I'm no lawyer, but this is pretty shitty of Disney in my opinion, the trademark to me doesn't even look like the trademark was ripped off. I've got no stake in this, but as a long time fan of Star Wars this looks to be the start of a lot of a Death March from Disney towards it's fan base. I hope Disney doesn't try and sue me for using "Death March" in my comment...

i think the amount of fan base that will be hurt is so small, no one would care.

It's one thing to start a fan-club, it's something completely different trying to base your for-proft business on someone else's IP.

Not sure how they thought they could get away with this.

They should sue the people that made the Last Starfighter since their logo bares some resemblances to the jedi logo too. Disney won't stop until everyone is crushed under their puffy white gloved fist.

Back