Lucasfilm Says It Has “No Plans” For A Digital Carrie Fisher

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Disney has just shut down a rumor that it was negotiating with Carrie Fisher’s estate for future appearances of Leia in the Star Wars movies. I am almost positive that a handful of executives were doing cartwheels after hearing of her death and what it would mean for Episode VIII’s box office, though, so I remain skeptical.

We don’t normally respond to fan or press speculation, but there is a rumor circulating that we would like to address. We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa. Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.

Wish they would never have added "blow up doll" Carrie to the end of Rogue One.

Some things can't be unseen.

You're going to have to explain that one. I don't watch Disney starwars, and do not care about spoilers.

Wow, that's pretty bad. There would have been plenty of look-a-like models to use instead of expensive cgi. I've got nothing against using look-a-like actors that portray older actors now, in their earlier days. It's the logical thing to do.

Her acting in that force awakens movie was the worst I've ever seen, and that says a lot about a movie filled with people who were collectively the worst I've ever seen. On the plus side, at least we got a nice rifftrax out of her debacle.

I was watching Rogue again last night and it occured to me both Tarkin and leia looked out of place in the scene. Tarkins face was over colored and the shadows in the room didn't reflect on his face right. I feel like I've seen better CGI honestly. Leia's face didn't look out organic at all just her lips moved and it looked really really weird.

As a fan I understand where Gareth was coming from. I watched an interview and he's a massive SW nerd. This was him reliving his childhood and he was desperate to have Tarkin in there. Leia and the Vader scene someone else came up with.

However I don't feel like Tarkin was necessary. I think they could have worked something else out. I also would have been ok with a look a like. Initially leia is looking the other way. I would have left it like that or do like a pan up to her face and rolls credits right before you see her face while she says "Hope".

Gareth did a great job. I loved it end to end and have watched it 4 times. Where as I havent been able to talk myself into watching FA since the first time I saw it. It was just too dumb. JJ wanking to Joss Wedon with all the stupid jokes. You could not go 5 seconds without some obnoxious quip and in those 5 seconds you can sit through Kylo whining and playing with his stupid Vader dolls. God fuck that movie so hard.

Her acting in that force awakens movie was the worst I've ever seen, and that says a lot about a movie filled with people who were collectively the worst I've ever seen. On the plus side, at least we got a nice rifftrax out of her debacle.

Rifftrax has Force ready!?? *runs to download*

We want to assure our fans that Lucasfilm has no plans to digitally recreate Carrie Fisher’s performance as Princess or General Leia Organa. Carrie Fisher was, is, and always will be a part of the Lucasfilm family. She was our princess, our general, and more importantly, our friend. We are still hurting from her loss. We cherish her memory and legacy as Princess Leia, and will always strive to honor everything she gave to Star Wars.

"...but Peter Cushing on the other hand, fuck that guy." ?

I had no issues with the Rouge one Carrie Fisher. The scene was short, and a good way to end the film on a more positive note. Also reminded some people why Rouge one had to end the way it did for that cast.

Peter Cushings role in rouge one could have been heavily cut however. I thought he looked great when I first saw him... but after 20 min of him on screen it was just too long. Long enough for people to notice specifics about what wasn't quite right. They really should have found a way to cut him down to a few min for effect. I could have fixed that script for them in about 10 min.... remove a bunch of the terrible early Vader scenes, and instead use him in place of tarkan completely until the final moments of tarken in the film when he arrives to take control of the weapon. A scarry Vader threatning Krenek conversation could easily have ended with the standard emperial SW motivational line of... get it done or someone worse then me will show up and you won't like it. Someone at Disney should have suggested just that... I mean the Vader effects other then his final 60s must have been far cheaper. That it would have made the story stronger would have just been icing.

Anyway I hope IF Carrie Fisher is needed for the 9th episode for a SMALL part to tie up the work she put in on 8. I hope they would do it... TO honour her. As long a they don't go crazy and put digital Carrie in for 20+ min like Digital Peter.

Wow, that's pretty bad. There would have been plenty of look-a-like models to use instead of expensive cgi. I've got nothing against using look-a-like actors that portray older actors now, in their earlier days. It's the logical thing to do.

It was a mix of CGI and a live actor. You only see her for a moment as she turns around, its really not that bad.

My only real gripes with the film were weak dialogue in a couple places (Krenic and Vader's scene comes to mind). They should have limited Vader's scenes to his arrival at the battle.

I thought CGI Tarken was very good but I've seen a few people disagree.

I don't watch Disney starwars, and do not care about spoilers.

Well, you can't really make an informed opinion about something if you wont even see it. TFA wasn't perfect but it was a good movie, same with Rogue One.

You've had pretty good luck watching movies if the actors in TFA were the worst you've ever seen. Harrison Ford aside none of them were all that good but they were acceptable. Pretty much on par with what is to be expected from the series.

Back