Lucas Arts? Tie Fighter? Anyone?

d34dly

2[H]4U
Is LucasArts dead? I want another Tie Fighter. I haven't had a good reason to use my joystick in like 5 years. Anyone else miss games like this. I actually got into the story as well. Awesome games.

Tell you what. I just found out which guy at my company is in charge of the team that does the taxes for all of Lucas's various companies. I will see if he can mention it to someone at LucasArts.

Maybe it will actually happen if a everyone else around here with a tenuous link to Lucas does whatever they can at the same time!

Hey Lucas has more money then gawd. Why not apply the ... ummm ... [H]ard tax ... and then all us hard members can buy a private island, trench the hell out of it, to lay fibre optic connections, and then we can LAN away our lives.

Haha... I would move there. Just saying I haven't seen anything great come from them in a while.

You are not the only one waiting :(. However must play games in this genre is X-wing Alliance which I guess you have played and Starlancer. Starlancer was a surprise hit for me really really good.

Otherwise the genre looks pretty dead even though Lucasarts is sure thriving on it´s star wars license at the moment.

X2 has kind of a bit of that element but it´s not a hardcore space combat simulator so not at the same level. There is a follow up will see if they have spiced up combat in that one :)

Yeah I have played the others. But nothing quite did it for me like Tie Fighter did.

man I remember playing xwing and tie fighter all the time. I can't believe lucasarts hasn't made more of those games and why can't they make more classic adventure games.

dmcollin said:
why can't they make more classic adventure games.
I had read somewhere they were going to do another adventure game and Full Throttle has been on the boards for quite some time now.

God, PLEASE make a new X-Wing game!!!! I remember how much back in 1993 how I played the first one on my very first computer. It was so farking involving and comlpexthat my grades actually suffered from it, it was so insanely good. Some of those recon and bomber missions made me loose my temper so many times :p

Tie Fighter: the BEST Space Sim game Ever.

How I loved, LOVED, LOVED it so! I had it installed on my AMD 1.6ghz computer when MOHAA was the craze. I was still busting the Tie Fighter. AH! And do you remember the expansion? With the cloaked ship that could hyperspace? That was the shit, you had to like fight that asteroid station. Jesus! Tie Fighter RULED!

I think now would be a better time to release such games than when they were originally released regularly and were hits. Sam and Max? Tie Fighter? X-Wing? The Dig? MONKEY ISLAND? Some one PLEASE do a great looking 2D adventure for cripes sakes?!! There are plenty of 20+ year olds waiting with nostalgic desire all over the place.

I'd love to see another one of those games almost as much as I want to see a new Decent game. (read: so much I shit my pants at the thought of it)

True but LucasArts have jumped on the more profitable fps/rts mainstream bandwagon it seems. They do a good job at it but it´s not the best way to use the Star Wars franchise. I mean how many star wars fan hasn´t wanted to pilot an X-wing.

X-wing and Tiefighter was quite similar but what made Tie Fighter rock was playing on the dark side :). Also Tie Fighter has the most fun tutorial ever seen in a PC game. That obstacle course was just as fun as the real deal :). And those aircrafts. Tie Bomber, Tie Defender whoah

No Tie Fighter was definiatly the coolest even if X-wing Alliance you can have ton of fun with even today :). That game has tons and tons of atmosphere.

off topic but lucasarts had Full Throttle 2 and Sam and Max 2 on it´s way but they where both scrapped it looks like :(.

Anyway I like the Star wars fps games even loved Galactic Battlegrounds and the new Empires at War looks extremely promising but Lucas Arts please we need a new Grim Fandango and a new Tie Fighter/X-wing Alliance.

The mere mention by a big gaming company of a "nostalgia" game to the public would be all the talk. As long as it went like "So-and-So Inc. has announced plans to release a title that captures all the old-school fun and nostalgia of such classic games as [insert titles like Tie Fighter, Full-Throttle, etc.]. No further details were announced."

Sam and Max 2 was halfway through the production from what I have heard. And Full throttle 2 I am not sure if it´s totally scrapped or if it will come :(.

The last space combat Star Wars game that didn't suck was Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing which was pretty good.

It sucks that no one makes any space combat games anymore. Everything is either a FPS or a RTS. You've got damn near nothing else. While I like the Star Wars FPS games, I do miss Tie-Fighter and X-wing syle combat.

Sir-Fragalot said:
The last space combat Star Wars game that didn't suck was Tie Fighter vs. X-Wing which was pretty good.

It sucks that no one makes any space combat games anymore. Everything is either a FPS or a RTS. You've got damn near nothing else. While I like the Star Wars FPS games, I do miss Tie-Fighter and X-wing syle combat.

I had a huge thing typed out, but then I re-read it and it was hard to explain... :(

So Instead, i'll just say, in games like T-Fighter and X-Wing, it was all FAST paced, INTENSE action. One point you are trying to shoot down a Transport, the next you are defending your Mother Ship, and in the next minute you are fighting a huge force, while trying to bring down a Star Destroyer. There were no Dull moments in games like those. You knew when you started that mission, that something was going to go horribly crazy and you would be fighting for your life. Thats what made those games enjoyable.
FPS, and RTS just don't offer that thrill. I love those style games, but those Space Sims where just awesome. It was a Kill or Be Killed type of mentality you had to adopt and is what made them fun.

My roomates and I STILL play X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter on closed LAN at the apartment.

Thus far, it's been the absolute best game to play on the projector (NEC VT660) in the living room. Seriously. Nothing is so fun when it's so huge.

Now, that brings me to a question. Anyone know of a wireless joystick? I've got Logitech Wireless game pads for the HTPC, but not a joystick. We've been using my old Gravis Firebird plugged into a now-vintage MS Sidewinder gamepad as an extension cable. :p

The great thing about those games is that even if the action was intense, you had to use some real strategy timing and order of execution to bring down your opponent, not just a massive amount of bullets.

TheAcorn said:
Now, that brings me to a question. Anyone know of a wireless joystick? I've got Logitech Wireless game pads for the HTPC, but not a joystick.

Logitech also makes a very nice wireless joystick. Check their website.

TheAcorn said:
My roomates and I STILL play X-Wing Vs. TIE Fighter on closed LAN at the apartment.

I was never a big fan of X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter because there was no story, just random missions, so i couldn't really invest anything into it. I was spoiled by X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and X-Wing Alliance and the stories they had. Even the XvT expansion wasn't something i could get into, cuz, again, it just seemed really random. I like how XWing, TIE Fighter, and Alliance all followed each other pretty much chronologically through the movies, and the Death Star run at the end of Alliance.. wow.

I remember i was so happy when they re-released the first two with updated graphics. They need to do that again. In fact, doing it about once every 5 years or so would be nice. lol

Seriously... if they just did Tie fighter over again, no need to change the missions or anything. Just update the graphics... that would be pimp.

I agree with everyone too. X-Wing and Tie-Fighter (along with X-Wing Alliance) were probably my favorite games way back when. I was an X-Wing Alliance whore :) I would play it for hours on end not only flying the standard missions but I created tons of custom maps and scenarios. Back then I thought the graphics were killer. Even today (I happen to have Alliance installed currently) I really enjoy the graphics, sounds and overall feel of the game. I haven't experienced that with many other games. But I agree with d34dly, the game could remain pretty much unchanged, but with a revamped graphics engine, and still be popular, at least among Star Wars geeks like myself :cool:

Well I wouldn´t really want a multiplayer star wars game really. Don´t think that is the best use of the Star Wars license. Rather have a story driven play that concentrate on single player or perhaps coop rather than old dull deathmatching :). I mean that type of games is great but for me it doesn´t matter much if it´s star wars universe or star trek for that kind of game.

d34dly said:
Seriously... if they just did Tie fighter over again, no need to change the missions or anything. Just update the graphics... that would be pimp.

EXACTLY

Perhaps hire the 3d artist from Blizzard Entertainment instead ;) to do the cutscenes :)
That is yet another thing I loved about those 2 games, the cutscenes. It was something to look forward to. It also helped to advance the plot alot and they were just so tight. Who can forget the opening sequence to Tie Fighter? No one! It was fantastic.

Now, someone had a question about a Joystick, well here is mine. Its always bugged me so maybe someone could answer it really quick, but why was/is(?) the joystick port, attached to the Sound Card? I never understood it. Ever..Why is the port for the joystick not part of the Mother Board? Maybe they are now, but I have never cared to look. All I remember is that my last Sound Card I bought (Until OnBoard Sound started doing to job just as well) was a Audigy Gamer, and it had a joystick port on it. Why?

abudhu said:
Now, someone had a question about a Joystick, well here is mine. Its always bugged me so maybe someone could answer it really quick, but why was/is(?) the joystick port, attached to the Sound Card?

Gamers were very likely to have a sound card. Not everyone needed a joystick port. Hence, the most logical place to put it is on a peripheral that gamers are likely to own. Back then, the gamer's add-on of choice was the sound card. Nowadays, video cards are what separates gamer rigs from normal systems, but USB has (rightly) taken over the joystick interface role.

Back