Lucas and Spielberg on Video Games

Say the people who cast Shia LeBouf as some sort of "tough guy" in one of the worst films I've ever seen.

I did cared for the characters in Silent Hill games. I was sad when we couldn't save Lisa in Silent Hill. And I was pissed off when I found out that Aya Brea from Parasite Eve was killed off at the end of The 3rd Birthday.

Not all games have important or unique characters that we grow to like or hate throughout the game, but there are many notable character in games that have strong emphasis on the story.

Well, good storytelling = bad gameplay. Not possible to have both.

Well, good storytelling = bad gameplay. Not possible to have both.

Not sure if serious...

Ending of HL:Ep2 I definitely cared...I also felt some of the decisions were pretty gut-wrenching, in regards to impact on characters, in Mass Effect. Particularly in 3 with Moridin.

There's something about interactive experiences that dampens emotional responses to characters. It's the lack of tight control over pacing, maybe. I don't know. Filmmakers get absolute control over a lot of things that simply can't be controlled in a game, so they really get the "easy road" in being able to coax emotion from audiences. Games are...tougher. Some have been pretty successful at it, but there's no clear formula for success.

It's kind of an unsolved problem, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be solvable.

I often don't care about the characters in movies. If they get hit by a bus midway through, I'm indifferent.

There's something about interactive experiences that dampens emotional responses to characters. It's the lack of tight control over pacing, maybe. I don't know. Filmmakers get absolute control over a lot of things that simply can't be controlled in a game, so they really get the "easy road" in being able to coax emotion from audiences. Games are...tougher. Some have been pretty successful at it, but there's no clear formula for success.

It's kind of an unsolved problem, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be solvable.

I kinda think the VR stuff coming to marlet (oculus, etc) might enhance the experience. Taking control of your sight and hearing will yield huge results in immersion, especially the horror genre.

Not sure if serious...

Ending of HL:Ep2 I definitely cared...I also felt some of the decisions were pretty gut-wrenching, in regards to impact on characters, in Mass Effect. Particularly in 3 with Moridin.

Dead serious. HL2: Ep2 was very lacking in gameplay. It is a perfect example in favor of what I said. I fear HL3 is going to end up a lot worse than that. It happened to Portal 2. They completely ruined a great game.

I think great story telling makes for great game play. Mass Effect is a perfect example. Average combat and game play yet I can't stop playing it and have hundred of hours logged on them. All because of an epic story and characters I care about and are invested in. Because of that I don't notice nor care about the "lacking" game play.

Batman AA and AC are an example of both game play and story telling. I think those games have a ton of both.

I cared a fuck of a lot more about Gordon Freeman than Anakin Skywalker.

Someone should make them play a game like Syberia I/II, To the Moon, TH elast of Us, etc.

For being as creative as those guys supposedly are, you would think VG would be their go to media to tell stories they couldn't otherwise tell.

Let's see,Lucas himself destroyed the Star Wars franchise with an entire trilogy filled with characters I didn't care a damn about,then delivered the coup de grâce by selling out to the Evil Empire (AKA Disney). Spielberg did what an army of Nazis couldn't,he killed Indiana Jones with a monumentally bad sequel. These guys stopped caring about telling a good story long ago,it's all about their egos and wallets now.

False.

See: Red Dead Redemption

You regard that console movie as a game? wow...

I think great story telling makes for great game play. Mass Effect is a perfect example. Average combat and game play yet I can't stop playing it and have hundred of hours logged on them.

Cool story, bro. Great use of logic. I think you need to research the term "gameplay".

I'd like to know how in the heck RDR is seen as a "movie?" It's got a TON of gameplay for the majority of the game, it's nothing like say, Metal Gear 4 with it's cutscenes galore or anything.

The majority of your time in RDR is straight up GAMEPLAY and not cutscenes or anything, so it's obvious you either didn't play the game or are just trolling.

Also regarding Mass Effect, I think perhaps you need to look at the term and tell me how it doesn't fit? His entire point is that even though Mass Effect as average combat and things, the storyline and character interactions (Which the player actively has a hand in choosing) make up for the combat and other aspects that are average, and thus the gameplay is held up because of the excellent storytelling.

RDR didn't really have that good of a story imo. It's definitely not bad. But good is a bit overkiill. And... Those annoying walking horses sequences suck as bad as Gears' walker hand in ear sequences.

They should play Skyrim, then let Lidia follow them around.

I'll let them report back when she gets killed in battle, how they respond and feel.

Let's just say, I restarted the mission/save point. Despite the fact that she pisses me off most of the time.

Apparently Lucas also thinks movies will move to model "whereby fewer movies are released, they stay in theaters for a year and ticket prices are much higher". Yeah, that'll work.

I liked The Witcher, but then it's based on the novels. It's not the medium that can't tell stories, it's the writers.

Did someone recently pay Spielberg and Lucas large sums of money simply to go on the record and sound like complete assholes/retards?

They should play Skyrim, then let Lidia follow them around.

I'll let them report back when she gets killed in battle, how they respond and feel.

Let's just say, I restarted the mission/save point. Despite the fact that she pisses me off most of the time.

Sad that the same 4 lines of dialogue and getting stuck on geometry all the time can have such a deep emotional impact on our lives.

You regard that console movie as a game? wow...

Cool story, bro. Great use of logic. I think you need to research the term "gameplay".

Cool comeback bro. I think you forgot to argue your opinion or anything at all and instead rely on stupid internet phrases. Next I expect a "trololol" post or a dumb internet meme from your next post.

Did someone recently pay Spielberg and Lucas large sums of money simply to go on the record and sound like complete assholes/retards?

Disney?

Don't know about Spielberg though. :p

KOTOR, Fallout 3, etc...just, no. You're completely wrong.

Dragon Age Origins. I WOULD suggest Legend of Zelda games, but no matter how much I enjoy them and how well they are put together, I can't help but admit their stories aren't the greatest.

"We're talking Lincoln and Red Tails -- we barely got them into theaters. You're talking about Steven Spielberg and George Lucas can't get their movie into a theater," Lucas said.

Lincoln and Red Tails are stories that have already been told before.... How about these guys give us something innovative and different instead of the same rehashed crap. I suppose the same can be said for video games too.

I'd say that movies are in dead last for making someone care about a character.

First is probably a TV series. Say Game of Trones, Seinfeld, breaking bad, dexter, mad fucking men, ect...

Second is probably books...I mean many good movies are in fact based on books.

Third is probably video games...I can remember as early as Final Fantasy 4 caring a lot about the characters of a story when the twins turn themselves to stone to save the group.

Dead last is movies.....And its been a long time since I cared about any of these fucks in a movie. Sure Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption was amazing but you really don't get too many of these in modern movies.....not to mention that too is a book.

First is probably a TV series. Say Game of Trones, Seinfeld, breaking bad, dexter, mad fucking men, ect...

Third is probably video games...I can remember as early as Final Fantasy 4 caring a lot about the characters of a story when the twins turn themselves to stone to save the group.

Dead last is movies.....And its been a long time since I cared about any of these fucks in a movie. Sure Andy Dufresne from The Shawshank Redemption was amazing but you really don't get too many of these in modern movies.....not to mention that too is a book.

I think video games have become more powerful in terms of a character dying, because in some games, you feel more responsible for it. Walking dead is a good example, because you make choices that feel like they have weight, and when a character dies, you can't help but feel at least partially responsible.

"Lucas and Spielberg also spoke of vast differences between filmmaking and video games because the latter hasn't been able to tell stories and make consumers care about the characters."

I am guessing there are a few games they haven't played.

Yep. I think they need to be forced to sit down and play Planescape Torment just for starters. Too many other good examples to spend time listing, as well.

I don't think one medium is better then the other for this, it depends ENTIRELY on the individual movie/book/game.

There are plenty of movies that can have characters that tug at your heart strings and make you feel for them, the same as tv shows, games, etc.

Just like there are plenty of mindless action movies, tv shows, games, etc where you may enjoy them, but feel no real attachment/caring or emotions for a character.

I mean you mentioned seinfeld in your list, and while I love that show I don't really see anyone in it as someone I found myself "caring" for in terms of their emotional journey or anything.

Sure they can have more character development, but there was really nothing in seinfeld that hit you hard in the heart like the movie you mentioned with Shawshank.

Even documentaries can hit you hard, case in point:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

If you haven't watched that documentary I can GUARANTEE that if you do you will go through so many emotions while watching it, more then even many tv shows can. Don't watch the trailer, don't "read up" on it, watch it without knowing anything about it or what happens and get back to me.

I don't think one medium is better then the other for this, it depends ENTIRELY on the individual movie/book/game.

There are plenty of movies that can have characters that tug at your heart strings and make you feel for them, the same as tv shows, games, etc.

Just like there are plenty of mindless action movies, tv shows, games, etc where you may enjoy them, but feel no real attachment/caring or emotions for a character.

I mean you mentioned seinfeld in your list, and while I love that show I don't really see anyone in it as someone I found myself "caring" for in terms of their emotional journey or anything.

Sure they can have more character development, but there was really nothing in seinfeld that hit you hard in the heart like the movie you mentioned with Shawshank.

Even documentaries can hit you hard, case in point:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/

If you haven't watched that documentary I can GUARANTEE that if you do you will go through so many emotions while watching it, more then even many tv shows can. Don't watch the trailer, don't "read up" on it, watch it without knowing anything about it or what happens and get back to me.

Valid point. Though I still slightly disagree simply due to the time constraints of movies. If you line up a great book, Movie, series, and game the movie always loses for me because I get more invested in with time and the movie is the most limited in that regard. They could change that but never really do.

I mentioned Seinfeld more for the relatability of characters and situations than actually caring about them.

You are right though it all boils down to quality.

mad fucking men
I really don't find this appealing... I mean, why be angry when having sex? This question goes out to lucas/spielberg just as well... they seem frustrated in bed anyways... surely comes across on the big screen

Cool comeback bro. I think you forgot to argue your opinion or anything at all and instead rely on stupid internet phrases. Next I expect a "trololol" post or a dumb internet meme from your next post.

You should read again what I quoted. Hint: bold text. Context matters, you know.

Back