Lubricating arctic freezer 7

Noryn

n00b
Hey guys. As always thanks for being here and I thank you in advance for your time. I recently bought a coolermaster 690. Awesome case btw. So I was transferring over everything and this morning I have been unable to keep my temps down. Normally I run 60 orthos with e6300 at 3.15 ghz.

So today that was my idle temp at stock speed when I noticed my cpu fan was only going 500 rpms. I went into the bios and checked my settings, normally I have the fan controls disabled. Reset the arctic freezer pro but noticed the fan really was stiff. Much more than you would expect, especially in relation to my case fans.

Took if off, opened the middle of it, there is a black plug and I sprayed some WD 40 in it. Immediately it loosened up. Now my rpms are 2600, temp are 36 idle and 50 load (at stock).

So my question is, I thought these fans did not need lubrication? The WD 40 isnt going to last forever and I dont want to risk my fan going out again. Should I just replace the arctic freezer pro? I have only had the fan about 9 months. And to be honest I usually idled around 40-45 so I am thinking I may have gotten a faulty fan. Can you only replace the fan on the heatsink? It is held on by rubber grommits that look to be a part of the design,

Again, thanks a million.

hmm hate to hear that just installed one. I have not seen any other posts like this before so perhaps you got a badly lubricated one from the factory. I will bet if you carefully pry the rubber plug out you will find the bearing underneath. A drop of sewing machine oil or other high grade light oil (NOT 3in1, it evaporates) should fix you up for another two years. Replace the plug.

well if your going to replace it, dont replace the whole thing...just the fan..maybe you can get AC to send you a new one

Yeah, your not going to want to use WD-40 as a permanent fix, I use to use 10w40 mobil 1 fully synthetic 4x4 motor oil on my fans, its worked like a charm.

thanks for the suggestions, I did take the rubber plug out and spray wd 40 in it. I now have my e6300 at 3.3 ghz and the cores run about 60 orthos. I will run out and get some of the good oil, I may end up picking up an entire kit though since they are 20 dollars on newegg.

It just worried me as to why it needed lubrication, I have used fans for years and as long as they are kept clean they have always worked fine.

I may even shoot the company an email.

Back